Saturday 24 August 2024

The kindness of stranglers


I have had to get a newer iPhone in order to take the control panel app for the alarm system which has been installed on the scaffolding that has just been put up on our house. That is a lot in one sentence and I won't bother to say any more unless someone really wants to know.

I will say this though. For years I have been using all sorts of methods to transfer the data from the old phone to the new, and for the last few times it has been done using iCloud. Other Cloud systems are available.

Since I now only have a tiny bit of storage space left on iCloud, they will not let me erase all the old stuff and I do not want to pay Apple a monthly fee to get more, I have been looking into alternative ways of doing it.

The altruism of thousands of YouTube contributors always amazes me. I searched for a solution and found a man who tells you things which all the other commercial companies do not - especially the ones who are trying to make money from your ignorance. This is what you do if you are working with Mac, but I am sure similar things are available for everyone.

You plug your old phone into the USB hole of your Mac and bring up Finder. Click on the phone icon and ask it to backup. That takes about three seconds. You then plug in your new phone, go to Finder again, click on the phone icon, then ask it to 'restore'. In about 10 seconds all the data has been comprehensively and effortlessly put into your new phone and it is ready to use.

THEY DON'T TELL US OLD PEOPLE ABOUT THINGS LIKE THIS.

I saw the magazine above in the rack at our Waitrose recently...

15 comments:

  1. The alarm system on the scaffolding could, I imagine, fill a blog post by itself. If you are the one holding the control panel you will be woken up when revellers/invaders decide to go for a climb in the night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. There could be posts in the future. Last night was the first time I switched it on...

      Delete
  2. I've got one of those phones. It's called Doro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got one of those for Pirate... absolutely useless.

      Delete
    2. It does calls. It does texts. The battery lasks 2 weeks between charges. What more could you want?

      Delete
    3. Does it offer you introductions to mature ladies in your area like mine does?

      Delete

    4. I don't know. I rarely turn it on.

      Delete
  3. Your security system sounds sophisticated. Security systems have evolved greatly and often use real time video cameras to effectively monitor the property.
    YouTube is one of the best resources today. The tips and instructions are next to none.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait--I thought you lived in a tiny, adorable apartment, or to that effect. How did you become responsible for the scaffolding around or about such a structure? Just asking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are on the upper floors, but I have taken on temporary responsibility for the whole house.

      Delete
  5. That title made me laugh. I was almost afraid to read the post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What are they doing to your house ? New windows ? Cleaning the brickwork ? Painting ?
    I have paid £1.00 per month to Apple for extra storage for quite a few years now. I don't think that's too bad an amount to pay. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After years of bodging I have organised some proper lime mortar repairs to the chimney stacks, plus remedial roof work. Some years ago I bought a 500Gb external hard drive rather than paying Google. It cost about £40 so we are probably quits for now. Also Google cannot get their hands on all my private stuff - or even lose it.

      Delete