Thursday 5 September 2024

Do you recognise this man?


Right now I am in charge of a renovation building project which involves climbing up and down tall scaffolding. I don't normally get involved in things like this, but... well it's a long and boring story. All I will say is that I am too old for it now and have vowed never to do it again. Honest.

Some weeks ago in the early evening, I looked out to see the man above climbing around an even larger scaffold and took this photo of him when he finally got down. He did not use the ladders, but clambered about on the poles of the structure. Very dangerous. I did not bother to call the police as they probably would not have bothered themselves and besides, he looked like an ordinary nutter rather than a cat-burglar.

My job includes setting a scaffold alarm which is controlled from an app on my phone. When someone sets it off by walking in front of one of two detectors - front and back - the outside siren howls and my phone makes a sound like we are all under nuclear attack. When you go to the app it shows a series of one repeating video and two stills of the intruder. 

Last week at around dusk it was set off at the rear. I went to the app and saw a picture of someone's legs walking along the bars in the gloom. It has infra-red but the image quality is very poor and small. Basically it lets you know if there is a human or a pigeon outside.

I went to the window and found a man climbing up the scaffold, unheeding my shouts telling him to get down. I recognised him, It was the man above.

Pretty soon there were many police shining torches up from the ground.  They sent a fireman up to investigate, which I thought was cowardly and unfair. I reset the alarm to catch the man going back down, but all I got was a photo of the fireman. Somehow he disappeared without trace. After an hour, everyone gave up and went home.

At least I know what happens when the alarm is triggered.

17 comments:

  1. Well he hasn't made an appearance in Todmorden yet. He looks rather down and out, and has pointed 'gremlin ears'. Rather sad in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what his purpose is? Is there anything to steal up there? Do you think he's just nuts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there are millions of pounds worth of things to steal, but I think that is out of his league - way out. I think your last question is about right.

      Delete
  3. He looks a bit sinister. When we had scaffolding up on our offices in the city centre we were robbed twice over two nights, they came back for a second go. Apart from the petty cash they took a bottle of Coke from the kitchen but left the whiskey and gin. Well it was hot weather. I hadn't replenished the petty cash so they left empty handed the second time and still left the whiskey and gin. I thought of it when you said about the scaffolding last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he does make me feel uncomfortable - particularly his hands. He doesn't look like he ever smiles. Your thieves drank the Coke but left the booze? I would not trust them.

      Delete
  4. Alarm properly tested then

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it would have been a shame if it had not gone off once.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can tell you that I've not seen him in my neck of the woods. If he's not here, then he's surely there.

    It would make me uneasy though, to have a man climbing all over the scaffolding, and leaving you to wonder about his intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe it's Banksey ? !!! I'm a bit worried about you , going up the scaffolding ! Our roofer has fallen off a few times and he's been doing it for years ..... please be careful. ♥️ XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier to fall off a roof than a scaffold, but I will try not to.

      Delete
  8. Trespassing is never good. What does this guy want?
    At least you know your security system works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some trespassing is ok in my view, but not burglary. I think he just likes climbing scaffolds.

      Delete
  9. How soon will the repairs be done and the scaffolding gone?

    ReplyDelete