Thursday 4 January 2024

The dressing-up box


That twat Dr Michael Mosley has just been on the radio telling us older people how to stay young. The main gist of it seemed to be not behaving in the way we have been taught to expect older people to behave. Well I should be alright in that department then. I made a rare visit to the pub last night and took these photos. It was my suggestion that she edit the slogan on her sweatshirt and she readily accepted my request to take the picture. 


There are people here that sit on opposite sides of the ageing debate. One is our old friend Colonel Blimp, who has taken on the persona so completely now that I really think he has begun to believe it himself. I have always told myself that if you pretend to be something for long enough you will eventually become it in reality. That is a useful trick when you are young so long as you are careful in choosing what you pretend to be.

The other needs no introduction from me, is a little younger than Blimp and gets younger every day. Think teenage angst.

The rest of us plod along either side of the middle, pretending to be as mature as our age should suggest to real young people, who are not fooled in the slightest. Drug dealers around here have become a little worried in case I have a heart attack. I would like to think that they are concerned about my health, but I guess they are just worried about being traced after the event.

Happy New Year!

17 comments:

  1. When I asked my Tom - grandson, what he thought of Dr.Mosley, he said 'bloody charlatan don't believe a word he says'. Mosley seems the guru of everything health wise. But age?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard him discussing his career a a doctor once. I was amazed at what he admitted to.

      Delete
    2. This is of course after the ‘avoidable’ final appearance of the man, but the ghastly irony ‘ of turn down the thermostat’ etc , kind of odd now?

      Delete
  2. That's a very naughty letter change! haha. Trust you Tom to make me smile.

    I guess at 48 I'm in the middle of middle age. I'm beginning to realize I'm always going to feel like a twenty-something on the inside, no matter what happens on the outside. It's always kind of a shock to remember how old I actually am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will always remember leaning out of the window one night when I was your age. A group of young girls spotted me and one shouted, "Hello old man!"

      Delete
  3. Good times at the Pub will keep everybody laughing and enjoying life. Mosley is walking on a very thin line. Lunatic. Will he publish a single code for ageing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is getting paid a lot to be a celebrity doctor, along with all the other experts in their field.

      Delete
  4. I still go to Prog And Heavy Rock festivals and I am sixty. The Rolling Stones are in their eighties but they still Rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My midlife crisis was almost learning to play drums.

      Delete
  5. I wrote a blog post a couple of days ago about the new phenomenon in blogging of the coming of the demented blogger. I couldn't think of an ending so I didn't publish it. I had forgotten the ending that I first thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am still worried about the 'doubl 'entendre 'of the cow in the bath!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really have never quite understood the chase for the fountain of youth. I mean, we are what we are. I try my best to keep my brain engaged and to be relevant. I normally feel okay about myself. I have a cataract. I have a bum knee. I think that my hearing is going. But I don't feel old. I think if I read all these experts thoughts on it, I probably would feel decrepit. I have always meant to ask. Who is Colonel Blimp?

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are many who follow Dr Moseley ..... I have always thought that 'everything in moderation' is a good way to go. { with the odd indulgence } I have never been on a diet .... I think it is a downward slope unless you just cut down on something to lose a couple of pounds. We all get old and we just need to get on with it and not worry about it. I have had my youth and now I just try and make the best of what I've got left !!!!I always think of Jane Fonda who has had a lot of work done and looks young but, she is 86 and it looks wrong on an 86 year old ! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had my youth now but I still miss bits of it. That's the trouble with men. We are just programmed that way.

      Delete