Saturday 6 January 2024

Super Executive

I finally took delivery of the car to replace the Volvo V70 at 11.30pm on Thursday night. It is another Volvo V70. After toying with the idea of getting a smaller version for economy reasons, I decided that I needed the space and engine size for future work.

The last one was carted away before dawn in the wind, rain and dark, and the latest was delivered late at night - also in the wind, rain and dark. It was brought from Bradford, Yorkshire, and I never saw it in the flesh until it rolled off the back of the transporter. The purchase was an act of faith which took several nerve-wracking days of trying to convince myself that the whole thing was not a scam.

So far, it seems like a good car but I have only driven it 100 yards to a parking space. I haven't even switched on the engine yet as it was left running by the delivery driver. I tried to adjust the seat but could not find how to do it, but in the daylight yesterday I discovered the buttons and levers which adjust it electronically. This model is a V70 SE. The title of this post is what SE stands for. Swish eh?

I spent a few expensive hours yesterday taxing, registering and insuring it. These things should be straightforward for everyone, but I always seem to get technical problems which triple the time, and they are rarely my fault. Honest.

It will stay in that parking spot until Monday because parking places are rare in central Bath at weekends and the bastards have left me just enough petrol to get to the nearest station.

I will not post a photo of it because I would not want to make you jealous and we all know what boring Volvos look like.

20 comments:

  1. You got that quickly ...... just a tad worried that they left it running ..... lets hope it starts when you fire her up { just kidding 🤣😂🤣 } XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry about absolutely EVERYTHING these days. I imagined I would become more relaxed in old age, but I was so wrong. I got it quickly but had to go to Yorkshire to get it. There are many diesel versions for sale around here, for the same reason I do not want one. You are really clobbered with a diesel.

      Delete
    2. One example: I pay £125 p.a. for my parking permit. My friend with a diesel engine of the same size pays £350.

      Delete
  2. Thats pretty good for your parking permit. Our friends had two diesel cars { got them when told it was better for the environment !!!! } Their daughter lives in Islington and they were paying astronomical amounts for parking so got an electric car. I reckon they will be telling us that electric cars are a danger to the environment in a few years and slap a charge on them !!!! } XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A filthy old 4 litre classic car would exempt from everything.

      Delete
  3. Well done on getting what you needed.
    Pirate still hankers after his Volvo estate...I remember all the potters with 240 estates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potters and antique dealers cars. I have had about two or three 240s. They get a little smaller the younger they are. The fastest was a 740 Turbo but I didn't like the fuel consumption.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with the car and back on the road again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seem to have found and bought a Volvo very quickly. Is it certified? In the US, certified cars are guaranteed to be fully operational. Ideally, you will have no major repairs for at least a year. I once owned a Volvo sedan and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's a sedan? 200 years ago here it was a chair carried by footmen.

      Delete
  6. Glad you are happy. I am pleased with four operational wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. I've just looked it up and it seems to have been registered in Maidstone, Kent. I don't know why, but I prefer that idea to Yorkshire.

      Delete