Sunday 31 December 2023

123123

My German mate, Thomas, has just messaged me to say that the title of this post is today's date - the last day of 2023.

A really loud but distant clap of thunder has just incongruously rolled out of the hills around here. Just the one.

Yesterday I made a momentous decision - I am now looking for a replacement estate car of any make or model - except French. All the Volvos I have seen within my budget are either 100 miles away or shabby. Sometimes both. After all these years it could come close to 'fun' to drive a V.W., Audi, Saab or Mercedes. 

When I got driven to Stroud to buy my last Volvo (V70 auto estate) I returned home and was alerted to a much better version for less money, and it was parked about a quarter of a mile from where I live. I have never quite got over the sheer bad timing of it all.

The man who I bought it from put the finishing touches to my deep prejudice toward all Australian men who live in England. I really don't mind Australian men so long as they stay on the other side of the world to conduct their business but I have never met or heard of one living here who does not fall somewhere in the wide spectrum commonly referred to as 'cunt'. I am not proud of admitting this flaw in my character.

I had a bad feeling about this man as soon as I knocked on the door of his house - he was shifty in the extreme. He began by lying and carried on lying to the end. Even the advert was a lie. He made out that his (English) wife was selling the car, but when I was handed the paperwork it was in his name.

I will not list all of the defects which he failed to mention, or all of the sneaky things he did to keep me from knocking him down on the price, but the worst by far was the fact that this Volvo had two accelerator pedals.

I discovered this one day when I got into it, started the engine and attempted to drive off. I pressed down on the pedal but it just idled. I bent down and peered into the foot well and the accelerator pedal had vanished. Somehow my foot had pushed it up where it was folded away and unusable. I looked on the other side to find a second accelerator pedal, also folded up in the roof of the well. I pulled down the right-hand one and carried on as normal.

You would not be surprised to know that it is extremely difficult to get anyone to insure a car with two accelerator pedals, which is why he did not tell me and which was another good reason to scrap the car when I did. I insured it by telling myself (and a broker) that the two pedals were not a modification but factory-fitted. I believe this to be true, but thankfully it was never put to the test and never will be now.

Am I a racist?

22 comments:

  1. It'll make Sarah laugh, and she just bought a new car, or shitbox as she called it. My shitbox got hit by a deer, or I hit a deer rather, and I can't find anybody who repairs bodywork for love nor money. So I drive it with a split wing. I say split because it doesn't seem to be made of metal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit worried about Sarah's reaction. A lot of cars are plastic these days. They would replace a whole panel rather than repair it.

      Delete
  2. If you have time to look around, you'll find the right car. Car sellers are known to be slick and shifty characters. It seems to be part of their business model. (As the buyer, you have to play one seller against the other and make it a competition for your purchase.) My worse experience was with a Volvo dealership. The salesman refused to let me test drive the Volvo I wanted to buy. He said, bring your husband in for a test drive. I went to another dealership, had my test drive, negotiated a fair price and bought my Volvo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally I would never buy a car from a stranger having only ever purchased vehicles from reputable dealerships who guarantee the vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buying a car from a stranger is safer than buying one from a friend. I know that from experience.

      Delete
    2. It's even more unwise to sell one to a friend let alone buy one.

      Delete
    3. A friend of mine begged me to sell her that Renault 4 to her after I had bought a Volvo, so I did. It literally snapped in half within 3 days, and I had already invoked the buyer beware clause, so she never got her money back.

      Delete
  4. Two accelerators??? Now that is a new thing to me...off to read...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you are still dear old Tom - one of my best bloggy buddies )try saying that quickly tonight after a few 'drink the New Year ins'.)

      Delete
    2. Debby - It was new to me too.
      Weave - I tried it sober and still stumbled.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I sometimes don't listen to the little voice.

      Delete
  6. It must have been a difficult decision. Life changing. It can be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't bought one yet. I am still nervous.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I looked for it but I cannot find any from you. Quite a few from others though.

      Delete
    2. You appeared to find it because it reappeared above. It definitely disappeared for a while and then came back.

      Delete
  8. By all means, look for an older car. No touch screen, no onboard navigation. Complicated. Distracting. Add to cost and expense. Ask me how I know. I traded down to a 2012 Honda Pilot. Possibly what you should be looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right year, wrong car though. I want it to have reversing sensors, whatever it is.

      Delete
  9. It's sounds like it might be time for a change We always had Audis but now I have my John Cooper Works Mini ...... it is SO much easier to drive, faster handles better and is more fun. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel I should stick to the devil I know and I would if it was easy.

      Delete