Saturday 11 November 2023

Are you for us or against us?

For quite a few years now, divisiveness has been used as a tool to gain political support from the more extreme factions in societies right around the world. Trump was probably the first to throw himself wholeheartedly into the modern version of the tactic, and he was so surprised at how well this simple technique worked that he cranked it up higher than anyone else before him in recent history. His support is so strong and his opposition is so weak now that he stands a very good chance of a second term as the most powerful leader in the Western World. Being convicted in court will only boost his campaign.

With him as an example, our current government began to believe that you do not need any clear policies or even any degree of ability or competence to tackle unpredicted problems for the good of the country, and now they can only focus on the survival of The Party by appealing to what they perceive to be the lowest common denominator in any situation - so long as it might consist of 1% over the others by this time next year.

Taking sides has now become mandatory. Nobody sees the bigger picture anymore. You are only allowed to support either Israel of Palestine, even though the governments of both have committed horrific war crimes in the name of 'justice'.

Trust what you see with your own eyes. Don't take anyone else's word or interpretation for what is happening.

14 comments:

  1. Well said Tom - trouble is we can't see with our own eyes - we can only see what ^they^ decide to show us. The whole situation is so appalling I can no longer bear to watch. I shall watch the Remembrance service tonight, as I always do - mainly to honour the memory of my first husband who was on The Death Railway in Thailand having been taken prisoner by the Japanese. How wonderful it would be if there was also a one minute's silence to think of the thousands who are dying daily in The Middle East - and in Ukraine and in various other parts of the world - conflicts which have slipped out of the news. No longer headline so let's forget it seems to be the maxim. The world has come to such a state that I am pleased I am nearing the end of my life rather than just starting out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, well said Weave.
    A plague on all their houses...we just need peace and being kind and understanding

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure what is happening in the world, only that I despair when our government chooses to tell us who we must support in this terrible time. As Pat says so rightly we should be weeping and standing in silence for the rest of the deaths, that are happening by warfare, around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The state of the world is horrific. Sadly, the death and destruction among humankind has surpassed all expectations and there seems no end in sight. The era of DT tells us all something about society at large. It is a very disturbing era we live in today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it is seeing the whole picture that is important. If one expresses an opinion or knowledge about one side it is then taken that one is taking a side one way or the other. This is not necessarily the case. One can be totally mis-quoted mis-understood and ultimately labeled as this or that by merely expressing some knowledge about a situation. That I find very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Tom, "Trust what you see with your own eyes. Don't take anyone else's word or interpretation for what is happening." - so true. But also true what Weaver says: we are flooded with images and photos and news which we cannot see with our own eyes (and to be honest: I thank God that I do not have to watch those horrifying cruelties). I have an almost eidetic eye for pictures - and people are angry when I say: I have this same (!) house/group seen in another context before.
    I still am searching for keeping a balance between being informed and being overflowed (not: flown) with pictures and information.
    And I agree with what you say about politicians - when I look at our German "Ampel", I close my eyes deliberately.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A pox on many houses. I fear tens of thousands more (and more) will die.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In saying this you appear to be taking sides, but I have to say I can see where Russia, China, North Korea, outspoken politicians, and so on are coming from, and that they may have a point.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have read all your comments but I don't think I will respond to any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am watching the Remembrance Service at The Cenotaph at the moment . They showed a graveyard of the armed forces and civilians who died and it just showed the pointlessness of it all.... rows and rows of headstones, some known, some unknown.
    This war has been going on for so long now { on and off } and there is not likely to be an end to it along with other wars all over the world. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Pat, we only know what the media choose to tell us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I truly hope trump will not again ascend to our highest office. It's stomach-twisting to think that so many people are in lock step with a criminal.

    ReplyDelete