Saturday 28 October 2023

A simple outlook


Nookie's grave at the dog's cemetery in Parade Gardens. I think they all must have overgrown since the 1920s because I only found them a few years ago after a clear up. I didn't know I missed Nookie so much.

I have not felt like blogging since the siege of Gaza began because I did not want to add more hot air to an atmosphere which I barely understand anyway, and the rhetoric from both sides of the fence is further polluted by statistics and lies about statistics. I don't like Netanyahu and I don't like Hamas. As with everywhere else in the world, the majority of people in Israel and Palestine are ones who I would like to have as friends, but not necessarily their rulers.

An Israeli ex soldier (professional, not conscript) was giving his account of incursions into Gaza during the previous conflicts and he was convinced that no military offensives would ever solve the problem. His brother was killed by Hamas and he lost comrades in the incursions he took part in. Hamas will not disappear no matter how many are killed, and neither will Israel. This conflict just strengthens the resolve of both sides, and thousands upon thousands more children will be killed by bombs, bullets and dehydration. 

The civilian hostages must be returned to Israel and the vengeance for the killing of Israeli families must stop. The only way that could happen is through talks and deals.

How many years did it take for the Brits to sit down with their mortal IRA enemies and come to some sort of tenuous understanding? Where did the bulk of the IRA's funding come from? The USA gave a lot of support through NORAID. Ideologies are not always good things to aspire to, but it is too raw in the Middle East to start talks right now. It will be a long term resolution if there is ever a possibility of peace and a two-state solution. 

I don't feel any better for writing this.

19 comments:

  1. No-one wants to write about the present situation, knowing full well there is a long way to go in the warfare. The other thing I hate is how people are arguing over the words used. All most of us want is STOP THIS, build bridges and count the cost of lives lost.

    Nookie's grave is in a special animal cemetery? Moss's ashes have been sprinkled over Victoria Park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pets' cemetery was made in the days before current regulations I think.

      Delete
  2. The suffering on both sides is horrific. Nothing is gained by vengeance, except that more innocent people suffer, and more people are inspired to take up arms against each other.

    Humans will never be better. We just never seem to learn. That's the gloomy conclusion I've arrived at. We just can't seem to help ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrorists are getting thousands of new recruits worldwide because of the actions of Israel.

      Delete
    2. By 'actions' I mean the protracted revenge that has - so far - cost almost 8,000 Palestinian lives. Netanyahu is more interested in this than he is about getting the hostages returned.

      Delete
  3. I agree with everything you state. My friend Haim, an ex-Israeli military man that immigrated to the US and married a friend of mine supports a 2-state solution as well. Leadership on all sides need to work toward resolution. Death and destruction of war solves nothing. Nookie's resting place is very special and beautifully designed. Our much loved pets live on in our hearts and minds forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you think that the open intention since 1948 has constantly been to push people to Gaza then over the border to Sinai.....nothing has changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how long the Palestinian factions have been calling for the destruction of Israel, and I wonder how long Israelis have been taught to think of Arabs as sub-human. Too long is all I know.

      Delete
    2. It is chilling when you see an Israeli politician (PM?, president? Not Netanyahu) Say "remember Amalek"...it doesn't take much searching then to realise what he meant.
      I just hope that he may be sidelined and talks go ahead

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful grave for Nookie. I am sick to my stomach about the other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Not enough in your case, judging by what you write.

      Delete
  7. My feelings exactly dear Tom - but you have put in much more succinctly than I would have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an over simplistic view of it all, but you say that you are not a poet and I know you are a good one.

      Delete
  8. The hostages must be returned. All of them, not piecemeal. They must arrive at the two state solution that has been so elusive all these years. Netanyahu needs gone. So does whoever leads Hamas. Can it ever happen?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sick about this myself. Tim watches the news for a couple hours. I can't stand it. I literally cannot stand it. More killing will not fix this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get angry, worried and depressed about it, but I have to know the news as it comes out and try to sort out the facts from fiction. Sometimes you have to temporarily forget history to deal with the here and now.

      Delete
  10. Daisy's ashes were collected from the vet's the other day. We have to decide where to scatter them, she had so many favourite places.
    I can't watch or read the news any more. The feelings of anxiety and powerlessness are too much if I do.

    ReplyDelete