Saturday 18 November 2023

Not transformation but enhancement


These are what have been taking up my time for a bit longer than they should have been recently. You see a 'before' photo, as on Monday I will be colouring them to match in with the wall and blend in with the surroundings, not stand out and glare as they do now.

I quite like turning stone on my lathe, but I do not like the dust I get covered with from head to foot. The design of these urn finials mean that 50% of the material is reduced to a very fine dust. That is a lot of dust. At weekends it is wonderful to wear clean clothes.

I have many more things to make and acquire which will improve what is an already beautiful garden, and I am very lucky to have been given the opportunity to work on my absolute favourite house in the area. I fell in love with this place when I worked here before many years ago, but almost everything I did for it then has gone (it's a long story) so I now have what amounts to a clean slate for the future. That is quite a responsibility, but after all these years I am more than capable of suggesting things which will suit perfectly and I am not about to inflict any incongruity on somewhere I love so much.


33 comments:

  1. Beautiful surroundings definitely lift the spirit. A joy to live and work in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something about the Georgian era that is not only perfect harmony but a rightness in its landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! It is obvious you are very happy with this job! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the individual job, but the whole set-up more.

      Delete
  4. Wow, clever stuff! and a beautiful landscape for them to go into.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This property looks expansive and very beautiful. You've enhanced this garden wall to perfection. The wall takes on an outstanding new aesthetic. Lovely work. The property owners are lucky to have you help them design and enhance home and garden features.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you make antiques Tom? I am joking. They're beautiful and you are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been asked by unscrupulous dealers to make antiques in the past, and I had to tell them that only people like them would accept them as genuine. I do camouflage, not faking.

      Delete
  7. It reminds me of the setting of Saltburn, the film I saw yesterday. And more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you now have such an inspirational job to do Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Weave. When I was young I dreamt about briefs like this.

      Delete
  9. The picture enlarges to a very fine view. You have a lot of camouflaging to do. What is the size of those finials (?). Height by width.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are about 20 inches high by 9 and a half at the widest point.

      Delete
  10. Genuine pleasure shines through your words (beside the hard work and dust) - and I am very happy to read this, Tom. And it looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look lovely....... and will be even nicer when they are coloured to match. I hope that you will be able to show us anything else that you are producing for the property?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so lucky to be able to work in such beautiful surroundings. A perk of your skill. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant work - the owners must be delighted, and what a lovely setting too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to be able to work there again, and hopefully this work will stay put

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a gorgeous view...and those urns will perfectly set it off. I am curious about how you will color them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with all the other comments. How wonderful to have your work in such a pleasant setting. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. that recent coloured photo of you? reminded me of Nicky Haslam

      Delete