Sunday 6 November 2022

Coming clean to the rozzers


I had a call from old friend Rod this morning, telling me that a slightly younger old and mutual friend - James -  has died. He was found by his ex-wife with whom he got on well, because she had not seen him for a few days and lived in the same road.

Recently, every time I hear of the death of a friend or acquaintance I realise I have been thinking about them repeatedly for quite a while before I am told the bad news. I thought of James last night and I thought of calling him the night before. Sometimes a year can go by without him entering my consciousness. 

I am having a clear-out and need to get rid of a bulky gun-cabinet which I have no use for (free to collector - want it?) and I thought that James might want it. Then I guessed that he had enough gun-cabinets for one lifetime so I did not call him.

I held his hand through the gun licence application form to the police. He used to be a very naughty boy in his teens and could not believe that a gun licence would ever be granted to him. One of the things you have to tell the police is whether or not you have ever been convicted of a criminal offence. The idea of grassing yourself up to the police did not sit comfortably with James, and he considered lying by saying 'no'.

I convinced him that it would be worse to lie, as if they ever found out (which they would - they hold the records) they would revoke the licence in any case, so he - with trepidation - put his faith in my advice and their sense of fair play.

If you tick 'yes' on the police form, the next question asked is what the conviction was for. In his case it was for breaking into a chemist at night and stealing drugs. He was only about 13 at the time, and I told him that the crime did not involve violence or threats thereof so all should be well with the application - just so long as he admitted to it.

He was just about to add - in ink - that he was sent to prison for the misdemeanour by writing 'custodial' in the box when I stopped him, saying that even the police would advise you to give no more information to them than is asked for. You can take honesty too far. He got his licence and he got his guns.

A few years ago I made a will and left my three guns to James in it, he being about 12 years younger than me. If you don't leave your guns to a fellow licence holder, the police destroy them after your death and I wanted someone to get the money for them. 

Since I sold all my guns a few years after making the will I began thinking I would re-write it, but there is not much point in that now. I am not sure there ever was.

25 comments:

  1. Friends around one seem to start dying when one reaches 70, younger or older. Life takes on a change at 70 I am finding even if it is only a number. I hardly dare think about anyone these days in case it might be foretelling me something is about to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. News of deaths have been fairly constant for me for years and not really affected by hitting 70.

      Delete
    2. I feel old age now that I didn't in my 60s.

      Delete
  2. I am sorry for your loss. James sounds like quite a colorful character. You advised him well when applying for a gun permit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m sorry Tom
    The phone calls will keep coming to all of us

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is more of an a shock when younger friends leave us behind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not something I've ever had or wanted, but I wish they would come and destroy the clay pigeon wankers who have little better to do on Sundays in the village three miles away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three miles? That's a long way away. I miss clay shooting. I enjoyed disturbing the local's Sundays.

      Delete
  6. Many of your comments have been going into spam. I have put them up now. Worse, many of mine have been going in too. Jeez...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm 80 and expecting no phone calls to go out. I suppose it's so for most everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One day, I had gone to an estate sale and it reminded me so of a sick friend that I had to call her. "Oh, Lorrie," I said, "I wish that you could have seen it. You'd have died..." and told her about the art that was being sold (she was an interior decorator). She agreed that it sounded quite amazing and asked that I call back later. She was awfully tired.

    She was dying. She died a few hours later. I felt so awful about my stupid choice of words, my ridiculous timing. A mutual friend reminded me of Lorrie's wild sense of humor. It was something that she would have found hysterically funny.

    I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am 84, all my friends, bar one, have gone. My wife of 63 years died a few months ago. Riddled with arthritis I wonder if there are any benefits to growing old.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There may not be any benefits, but I hope we can all continue to enjoy life a little before we go. I selfishly find myself wanting to go first, but I don't like the idea of leaving her on her own. Maybe you felt the same way?

      Delete
    2. Yes Tom, I wanted to there to care for my wife until she died. I would not have wanted to go first and leave her alone.

      Delete
  10. It is a sad topic. Made me think of two of my friends and I still don't know what is happening to them. A vivid memory also comes back of two female friends who made the effort to phone me from their beds as they lay dying. What did I say I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear a friend had died ..... I guess we will hear it more and more. It's all very depressing ..... my sister said everything went downhill when she reached 70 ! I have always had a happy go lucky attitude but, I am finding it harder and harder the older I get ! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not in touch with anyone from my youth before I moved here, so I don't know how many have survived up to now.

      Delete
  12. I agree with Jackie. And my son was so shocked when a friend his age died (cancer) - when you are young, you always think of that happening to old people.
    Maybe I ordered "A Year to Live" to brace myself - but, you read it: I sent it back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought like that when I was young. I felt very healthy so I did not mind thinking about death.

      Delete