Saturday 5 November 2022

Girl on a train


At the Western side of the six-track railway running into Woking station, one line splits away in a gentle curve leading to places like Camberwell and - I think - ultimately Petersfield.

One afternoon, the 15 year-old me was riding on the the lonely line to Camberwell where I was attending a private school in Geology. It look me a few months to realise that geology was not the palaeontology I was expecting it to be, so I waited until we had gone on the fossil-hunting field trip to Lyme Regis before telling the teacher that I had misunderstood and had decided to leave the class.

That day I sat at the window of my carriage, soporifically staring at another slow moving train which was pulling up along side of mine on the next line. The two trains were so close that you could have leaned out of a window and shaken hands with a passenger in the other.

Eventually they were moving at exactly the same speed and I found myself gazing into the eyes of what seemed to me to be the prettiest girl I had ever seen, who was seated a few feet opposite on the other train. She stared back and instantly we both began formulating plans for meeting properly. 

We looked up at our windows and quickly discovered that neither would open. We simultaneously ran through the other hopeless options - no pens, no paper, no steam on the window in which to write... time was fast running out.

Within a few more seconds the trains began to part company, the distance between us increased - painfully slowly - and panic turned into resignation. We waved at each other with sad smiles, wondering if we would ever meet again. We never did.

For years after, I wondered if I we would have married under other circumstances. Stranger things have happened.

20 comments:

  1. And each went down a different leg of the Trousers of Fate...who knows, eh?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice story; the mystery between you is neither tainted nor tarnished by anything which gives it its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if she still remembers you and your special moment ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could have been Trevor Howard, Tom and she could have been Celia Johnson. Except that trainstation was Carnforth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A gaze that triggered sparks. I guess a meeting was not meant to be. You do wonder about what could have been.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought you were going to say that you had been looking at a blurry reflection of yourself !!! Its like Sliding Doors ..... you will always wonder what might have happened if you had met. 💕 XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once, I was on a school bus and there was what would have been referred to as 'a hippy', back in my time. I lived a very isolated life. School was my only time away from a very unhappy and violent home life. I was headed home, and it was not something that I was looking forward to, and the bus waited to make a left turn at the intersection. The hippy stood at the side of the road with his thumb out, his back pack at his side, and I stared at him from the bus window, wondering what it would be like to just go. Just put your stuff into a bag and go. While I was staring in an absent minded way, I suddenly realized he was staring right back. He smiled and raised his fist in salute. I raised mine back, and the bus pulled away, and for days after, I wondered what would have happened if I'd just gotten off the bus and never went home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I met many varied people hitch hiking. Some good, others not so.

      Delete
  8. My sister and I picked up a fair number of hitchikers back in the day (the 70's). Most were good for a fun conversation for a few miles. We picked up one young man who said his name was Richard Vlasic from Steamboat Springs CO. For one reason and another, he stayed with us for a week. The Day he left we drove him back to the interstate on the way to work. When we got home we found Jan's horoscope cut out on the kitchen table. I warned her to beware of a breakin the night we brought Richard home. He left a note: I didn't take anything,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the worst type of hitchiker - never bring them home.

      Delete
  9. Well it reminded me of the beautiful tender scene in 'North and South' so here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP7na0BAZMg

    ReplyDelete
  10. "That is the stuff that dreams are made of" says Humphrey Bogart in "The Maltese Falcon".
    And it reminds me very much of "Falsche Bewegung", a film by Rainer Maria Fassbinder with Hanna Schygulla: two trains, coming almost parallel, the protagonists staring at each other "falling in love at first sight".
    - though there is no second sight ever...
    (I omit the famous scene from "4.40 from Paddington" by Agatha Christie).
    I love those glimpses on the variety of life's possibilities - so many questions, so many "ifs". Nice that we have phantasy, can shoot our own movies (at least in our mind), and always have the option to push the button for "tragedy" or "all's well that ends well".
    I prefer and choose the last option. And I use soft focus lens. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent 90% of my time living in a fantasy world then.

      Delete