Monday 31 October 2022

Durex and Old Spice


"Give him a short back and sides"
, was the instruction to the Welsh barber by my father when he left me for half an hour to have the monthly haircut.

I would sit on a stool next to a pile of glamour magazines which I dare not even glance at, let alone read. Large adverts for Durex hung on the walls. This was a male only establishment.

Mr Thomas did not like me. I went to school with his son who also did not like me. I think he described me as a spoilt, rich, English kid of the sort his father despised.

I would be tersely called to the chair and the ritual began. Mr Thomas ran the electric shears up the  three sides of my neck and head and I would brace myself for the finishing touch.

He pulled one ear out and lowered the shears down to where it attached itself to the head, cutting the little piece of flesh at the join. I would say that I did not want the styptic pencil because I knew from experience that it hurt more than the cut, but he insisted that it must be used to stop the bleeding. Then my father returned, paid David Thomas a few shillings and we got in the car to go home.

This happened every single time I had a haircut, but on my final visit I blurted out to my father what went on. Mr Thomas lied, saying that it was an accident and my unsupportive father seemed to believe him.

The next month I refused to go. I was threatened and cajoled but I held my ground. This was my first act of rebellion against my parents, but it would not be the last.

My mother had an image of me with shoulder-length hair, running around like the wild Gypsy boys on the edge of the council estates, but my hairdresser sister stepped in and took over from Mr Thomas for a couple of years until I was old enough to grow my hair in whatever style I wanted. I have been cutting my own hair ever since.

19 comments:

  1. Good that you raised your voice!
    I do not understand why parents in that time believed the barber more than their child.
    Cutting into the ear while giving a haircut always happened to my little sister - not out of menace as in your case but because one ear flapped a little (later my parents brought her to a doctor who fixed that - proud to say: the only cosmetic operation ever in our family).
    I detected the Durex in your post - but did I overlook the Old Spice? I loved Old Spice and bought it - just for remembrance - two years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stories about adults intentionally hurting kids boils my blood. Further, with other adults in the barbershop and nobody disapproved is equally wrong. You guessed it, I'm one of those adults that does speak-up and was actually known as "the parent from Hell at one of my son's schools." My father liked Old Spice and I remember it well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mum cut our hair until we left home. Judging by our photos she made a good job of it. I remember your story of the barber. He sounds horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep repeating my stories. I should give up here, really.

      Delete
  4. Just the fact that your act of rebellion resulted in you running free with long hair was quite a indicator of the character of your father. In our house you would have been slapped in the face until you did as you were told.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not been in a Barbers for thirty years. My wife cuts mine. Sometimes there is a search fee. It's like that joke: "Dad there is a man at the front door with a bald head." "Tell him to go away I have already got one !"


    ReplyDelete
  6. What a meany! Good that you put your foot down. I cut my own hair too as I like to save money. I keep it short and I do an okay job. Nobody is looking at me so it doesn't matter and it grows out if it isn't perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may think younger people do not notice, but they do. Remember what you thought when you were young.

      Delete
  7. Sometimes we forget how grown-ups used to control us, children now days have a much freer life style. I had the ' pudding basin' chop. Did they really put a pudding basin on one's head!

    ReplyDelete

  8. what does anyone know about Pat, Weaver of Grass?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The title doesn't really reflect the content - more of an excuse to mention rubber johnnies.

    ReplyDelete