Sunday 18 September 2022

Things are happening


It is H.I.'s birthday today. She still looks just as cute as she does in this photo.

She is going to London with her daughter and they will meet up with grand daughter - three generations of girlies. They are not going to join any queues other than the one for the Milton Avery exhibition and she is coming back tonight.

I am not working tomorrow after all. We are going to watch the state funeral instead. Well, we will probably dip in and out of it really. We will be close to relatively modern sanitisation in our compact but adorable city apartment, unlike the people who are physically attending the event itself. I wonder how many heads of state will wet themselves over the long day ahead.

I think that the full momentousness of the Queen's death will only be appreciated in the next few months. I used to wonder how much of her purported moderating influence was hype, but now - as the world begins splitting itself apart - I think there was very little hype at all.

Everything that is happening now - and has happened for the last couple of years - seems to be gigantic, and I find it hard to separate the portentous from the meaningless. The world is making a deep grinding noise as it rotates on its axis. Things are happening.

18 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're going to watch the funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least Wetherspoon's opens at one. I wish I lived near one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to H.I - like me she is a Virgo and my hair was plaited too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy B-day to HI. Getting together with the girls for a celebration sounds great. I agree, the world is turning on a new axis. We all just must relax and go for the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Change is scary but we have no choice....I am afeared of the Fates and wonder what is to come, and yet Susan is right..we must relax and go for the ride. All will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to your H.I. It is our oldest's birthday today as well, the fourth birthday celebration in 2.5 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy, happy birthday H.I ..... and, many happy returns of the day. So lovely to have a day with her daughter and granddaughter..... and then home to you. I hope you will be preparing a delicious dinner ! We shall be watching all of the funeral ..... an historical day.. I hope you will be wearing your Crockett & Jones boots. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to H.I. I am moving tomorrow; no funeral watching for me, except in reruns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute as a button! Happy Birthday wishes to H.I. Funeral starts at 8pm here so there'll be a bit of live viewing in the casa then probably a proper immersion tomorrow morning. I have the hankies ready :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another happy birthday to H.I. The funeral was magnificent, and the calm that is Queen Elizabeth II will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hand knitted cardigans …the stuff of a pre 1965 childhood

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely looking back at long ago photographs of ones loved ones isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will replay to you all soon. promise...

    ReplyDelete