Saturday 24 September 2022

Catching up


I have not had much to do with blogging recently. The main reason for this is that - as the sun sinks in the Autumn sky - our computer is positioned toward the South windows and it becomes very difficult to read text when you are dazzled by it reflecting off all the light coloured junk on the desk. People who have dark backgrounds to their blogs make it even more difficult. No blame attached to this. Also, Blogger will not let me in through my phone.

There has been a few remarkable incidents here over the last week or so. A gangland machete attack with police helicopters and armed response cars, a large house fire in a B&B pub a few doors away from us which left tourists out in the street in pyjamas and dressing gowns, a street brawl within sight of our compact but adorable city apartment involving groups of men, one of whom tried to set alight his adversaries with a large can of petrol. Things have changed a bit since Jane Austen trolled about a couple of hundred years ago.

We have just had the annual Jane Austen festival, during which hundreds - literally - of men, women and children promenade around in fancy dress for about a week. Most of them cannot resist using their mobile phones when in costume, which is a very incongruous sight. I have heard them talking to each other as they pass, and a very high percentage are not from the U.K. You hear Spanish, Japanese, American and many other languages coming from the Austenites. Personally, I would not visit Holland and willingly dress up in their national costume from 200 years ago, even (or especially) if they did have a writer who I greatly admired.

15 comments:

  1. It seems that life is like that everywhere with brawls and violence. We have just had sentencing in two dreadful murders in Norwich. I have not paid much attention to blogging of late, except when I had some holiday reporting to do. I can express myself in a visual way on Instagram if I have something to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Violence in any form is always discouraging. It is a reflection on the state of the world. Being in our homes safe and secure is a gift. The JA celebration gives followers a harmless holiday. I agree with you, many, including me, would not think of dressing in period clothing parading in the streets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't begrudge them a little holiday. I much prefer them to the half marathon runners.

      Delete
  3. Austenites with mobile phones. I would love to see a photo of them all dressed up and on their mobiles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heck, I made the mistake of wearing an old pair of waitress shoes (read: clogs) when I was in Copenhagen & received quite a few looks from the locals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wore Cretan mountain knee boots on a beach there once. People avoided me.

      Delete
  5. I wonder if JA were alive today what she would make of it. Can you imagine though the texts and messages between her characters if brought up to the present.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If Georgian women had mobile phones , boy would they use them

    ReplyDelete
  7. Plenty of painters though - get over there - dress up and dash off a few pictures - sell like hotcakes.

    ReplyDelete