Saturday 17 September 2022

Small change


H.I. is not allergic to peanuts, but she hates them so much that you would think that one would be fatal to her. I think this goes back to the days when cheapskate bakers were allowed to put them on Danish pastries and pretend they were flaked almonds. I wonder how many deaths that practice caused. Maybe people were not so allergic in those days.

I absent-mindedly heard of a campaign to abolish the use of the comma in writing the other day. I know that I tend to overuse commas, (see?) but to me they are essential for a good flow of uninterrupted reading. Not using commas can sound like talking until you run out of breath to me.

I would not mind so much if they banned semi-colons even though they can be useful for lists when a comma could be confusing. In fact I might even support a ban if it would stop people from using them as cheeky-wink emojis ;

Do they teach punctuation in schools these days? Up until recently I thought not, but then I learned one or two rules concerning the use of punctuation in text messaging amongst young people - not that young people use texts to talk to anyone under the age of 50 anymore, but I think they have generally dropped punctuation and capital letters in any form of writing.

Somebody told me that you only put a full-stop in a text if you are angry with the recipient. That's a bit like using the full first and last name of your child when telling them off: Thomas Stephenson! Come here immediately!

Monday will soon be over. I will be working as normal, but I don't begrudge an employee for taking the day off. Initially I thought that the 10 days of mourning period was something that everyone thought should happen as a courtesy, but then I had not heard of the five mile queue that stretches to the South of the Thames. Apparently there is a queue that you must join in order to join the main queue. This must look so very British to everyone else in the world.

Think of Mahatma Gandhi's state funeral (although more people turned up for the film than for the actual thing) and think how they ripped the cloth from the corpse of the Ayatollah Khomeini to tear up as  keepsakes, leaving his white cadaver in its underwear going down the street. They didn't queue for 24 hours to do that. 

Did you see the 'stinking pen' video clip? Poor Charles. When he told a member of the public that he had been dreading this moment all his life, he was not just talking about the death of his mother. After 70 years, his life will no longer be his own. Balmoral will be his refuge as it was for the Queen.

23 comments:

  1. They didn't rip away the Ayatollah's underpants?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Punctuation makes writing flow properly; I stumble when reading if people get it wrong. Not sure if my use of a comma was correct there or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Commas show where there is a pause and a breath taken.
    I suppose texting has developed as it has, to save money and not send two messages when one will do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mean to make everyone self conscious and waste valuable commas and semi colons. I asked a young friend once why she never replied to my texts. She said she couldn't be bothered. Respect.

      Delete
  4. Just yesterday someone very young told me that when you put a comma at the end of a sentence on WhatsApp it is considered aggressive. I admire the British for their patience in the long line for hours. It wouldn't work here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a line of dots is more aggressive... I am amazed at how we can queue here. Someone said that people would join the queue even if they did not know what it was for.

      Delete
  5. I’ve just watched the grandchildren’s vigil …incredibly moving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't going to watch the funeral but I have changed my mind. I want to see all those heads of state standing next to each other on good behaviour.

      Delete
  6. It's not all commas - it is 'the Oxford comma' which I had never heard of - apparently it is something to do with using it in conjunction with 'and'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby downstairs has has, I think, given a wrong example. I wonder what the 'Oxford comma' is.

      Delete
    2. Fowler has it correct when it is used to avoid ambiguity. However, that is a guide about which many have never heard!

      Delete
  7. Tomatoes, peppers, and onions. They are lobbying to remove commas before 'and'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There never should be a comma before 'and' in a sentence like that. That was what I was taught.

      Delete
  8. Given that much damage can be done by misunderstanding the tone of a (usually) appropriately punctuated email - at least an angry letter can be deduced by the pen tearing through the page! - those that shun punctuation in texts surely can't expect emojis will save them from even more imbroglios?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite story of the inappropriate use of text-speak was when David Cameron sent 'lol' to a friend who had just lost her mother, thinking it meant 'lots of love'.

      Delete
  9. George Orwell hated semi colons (I love em) and said they were pointless, resolving never to use them again. But I can't resit, though I will do here.

    ReplyDelete