Saturday 9 July 2022

The fun's just begun


With just the feintest of red lines below the strong one on my test kit yesterday, I felt well enough to go to work and prepare to finish the job which was cut short by illness about 9 days ago. If I was the religious sort, I would go to church and light a candle in gratitude for having survived. At my age and never having been vaccinated I admit that I was a little nervous when I saw the two red lines.

Well I am now back to my intolerant old self (as some of you have learned recently) and the sleeping curmudgeon is awake. All I will say about that is that I find it difficult to take advice from anyone who cannot be bothered to read a post before pontificating on whatever comes into their over-stuffed mind. Humility is not a pedant's strong point.

The highlight of this week for me was when Michael Gove went to Downing Street to tell Boris to resign, then got unceremoniously sacked himself. It just shows what fantasy worlds these people live in when they imagine they can get away with stabbing the future Prime Minister in the back only two years ago, then suggest that he move to one side to let them have a go in the post. That memory will stay with me forever and always bring a smile to my face.

I don't know whether or not this farce will make any difference to the gathering shit-storm which will hit our shores this winter. It's not as if Boris and his team of no-hopers have been making any preparations at all to mitigate the crisis whilst they were in office anyway, so lack of action now probably makes no difference. When Boris crows that he single-handedly saved millions of lives world-wide in the way he handled the pandemic, just treat it as another lie. What he and his friends did do was squander billions of pounds on useless PPI when the true heroes - the scientists who he had ignored until that point - were working flat-out on the vaccine and the logistics of administering it.

Boris is very good at squandering. As far as the Party goes, he squandered the absolute gift that was given to him in the form of Jeremy Corbyn as leader of the opposition. How could anyone waste such gloriously golden opportunity handed to them on such a large silver platter, let alone the Prime Minister of Great Britain?

He then went on to squander the reluctant goodwill of all those safe Northern Labour seats by misinterpreting the situation as being a colossal mandate given by God through the will of the people. Try calling a general election now and see what happens.

Shiny Rishi shot off quickly, not to spend more time with his family but to spend a lot of money with  PR company making a vomit-inducing promotional video setting out all the reasons why he should have the job. In the clips I have heard (set to rousing music) I didn't hear any practical solutions or policies.

There are not many policies being given out in the manifestos I have heard to date. One woman candidate who makes Pritti Patel seem like a reasonable human being said that when she gets the job of Leader she will concentrate on eradicating 'cancel culture' and 'the woke brigade'. That's going to help, isn't it?

19 comments:

  1. All angling for a job in the next cabinet...I wonder who else will throw their hat into the ring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will be forced to scrape the bottom of a very dirty barrel. It's not going to be good.

      Delete
  2. "If I was the religious sort, I would go to church and light a candle in gratitude for having survived."
    I recommend "Do it anyway" - it will not hurt to express one's gratitude, which way ever.
    Though being no member of any Church I love rituals - thus lighting a candle too - but nowadays, oh horror, they do use electric wafting pseudo-candles - that shows "something is wrong in the state of ...Church".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I do sometimes light candles in the churches which have them, just not on Sundays. I have a wonderful electric candle, but I would not install it in a church. This one cost about £300, so you would expect it to be good.

      Delete
    2. Tom, I saw your gorgeous electric candle once in a blog and thought it superb, found it in Berlin and the price was worth it but very high - thus I put it on my wish-list.
      As to churches: I want a real little flickering light, with rising warmth that transports my wish or gratitude to the sky.

      Delete
    3. I love the smell of warm beeswax.

      Delete
  3. The news feeds in the US are not saying much about replacements for BJ. They did say a large pool is expected which will come down to two candidates. I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. Skip the candle. I'm with Britta, how much good can a fake candle bring?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seefrom my comments that you are sad about the last PM of Japan - I agree Tom it is always the good whosuffer

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend Ann, a fairly fallen Catholic, lights candles frequently to ease her friends through various illness and mishaps. Considering she lives in the middle of nowhere and must drive half an hour to a church, we all take it seriously and strive to recover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Wicked' Joanne;) as my grandchildren would say. I am so glad you are getting better Tom, it really is a worry this wretched virus. Your scurrilous attacks on the 'state of things' livens the world up. And it would have been even livelier if I hadn't spotted my spelling mistake 'thongs'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I liven thongs up? Today I am all clear with the test.

      Delete
  7. Glad you are getting well again Tom. You must have a strong constitution as a "senior" who has not been vaccinated. It must be to do with manoevering large lumps of stone into place and attacking them with bettle and chisel. Your skills with them might be usefully employed "reshaping" our dire politicians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having heard that the one thing all hospitalised covid people had in common was a severe lack of vitamin D, I have been taking it every day for about 2 years. It is ironic given that it is your immune system fighting it off which kills you by over-reacting in your lung tissue. I have also taken a lot of aspirin, which is an anticoagulant as well as pain killer. Handy hints.

      Delete
  8. Vit D and aspirin tablets every day Tom - like you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There isn't one of them that I would credit with any integrity. They're all in it for themselves and that's why they voted BJ party leader. They thought his buffoonery would win votes and secure their jobs and it did. Sadly false promises don't pay the bills.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rishi is my constituency MPand a lot of good it has done me so far.

    ReplyDelete