Thursday 9 September 2021

Our lot


A woman has just walked past carrying two shiny, helium-filled balloons depicting the number 99. At first I thought they may have said 66, but then I saw they were tagged from the bottom, so not upside down. That's a big birthday.

I had 66 in my head because I have just sent a photo to a client which the camera labelled as 1666 - a portentous date for any English person. The plague had been tearing through London up until then, but someone accidentally set fire to the capital and sanitised the whole place for the foreseeable future - well, foreseeable by them anyway.

They pulled a lot of buildings down to try and contain the fire, many of them churches. An ancient, sealed lead coffin was discovered in one, and some curious and enterprising quack drilled a hole in the side of it to find that it was half full of a dark liquid which was all that remained of the flesh of its occupant. 

He drained it off into small glasses and people queued up to buy it to drink as a tonic which also warded off the effects of the Great Fire - or the plague, I forget which. 

I heard the other day that at the beginning of the pandemic, a modern trickster was selling anti-viral software for computers which immunised your PC against Covid 19. 400 years later it still goes on and old superstitions persist. 

I have often said that if I were to be born into a time of my own choosing, it would be sometime in the last half of the 17th century. Actually, no matter when you are born, things don't change much and the grass is never greener on the other side.

I have been having many odd dreams recently. The night before last I was in a vaguely familiar indoor space which was painted all white from floor to ceiling. I think it was a pub.

A drowned man walked in, dripping with water and leaving wet, muddy footprints over the clean floor. His neck was caked in mud which was oozing up from under his shirt collar. He came over and stared at me for a moment before saying, "I think you are ill with something, aren't you?"

He may have been right, but I woke up before I could respond. 

36 comments:

  1. The house we lived in before this one was built just a few years before 1666 ….. I found it amazing to think that it was built before The Great Fire of London ! Not sure that I would have liked to drink that liquid but you probably did things like that without a second thought in those days. I always think that I was lucky to have been born when I was …… they say it’s all down hill from now on. Not sure I’d have wanted to have been born in the 17th Century ….. it all sounded very romantic but, in reality, dangerous, smelly and quite bleak. I don’t like your dream . XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you eating and drinking late at night to cause such obnoxious dreams - gorgonzola and some of that liquid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing out of the ordinary. Well, not by my standards anyway.

      Delete
  3. Reading all this in the dark of the very early morning before work is eerie. Do you think your dream is portentous? I wonder what it could mean. Last week I dreamed I was walking along the shore of Easter island, looking at the huge stone faces, and I suddenly realized there was a ravine filled with hot red lava on my right side. I still haven't figured that one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer your dream. Have you ever been to Easter Island?

      Delete
    2. No, but I'd like to. I've never had much opportunity to travel. I'm not sure why I dreamed about Easter Island because I've never given it much thought.

      Delete
  4. Your thoughts and dreams all point to troubled waters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are all up to our necks in troubled waters already. All I am doing is dreaming of them.

      Delete
  5. Our French house was probably first built in the 17th century and has been through numerous changes since then. Sometimes I think I would love to be able to go back in time and see how life was then, the comings and goings of the occupants of the three original dwellings, how they and their animals lived. I suspect that it would be pretty awful most of the time, hard graft, uncomfortable in summer and winter, smelly, unsanitary conditions, ridiculous superstition and religious dogma and not a lot of joy in the quest for survival. Those paintings depicting rural scenes of healthy plump infants, pretty young maidens gathering fruit or strapping young men calmly leading their oxen to the field......... in those days if you fell and broke your leg or got bitten by a snake it was probably a death sentence. No, I would much rather have been born when I was, exactly half way through the 20th century.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That domestic description of life sounds like our flat today.

      Delete
  6. I like to imagine myself as a real person in the time in history that I am reading about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is right, Rachel, we too often see past happenings through the lens of how things are now, and we should see them as people who lived through them.

      Delete
    2. Exactly. I have never been too bothered with modern dentistry.

      Delete
  7. I've had some pretty strange dreams myself. I think a lot of us are trouble right now by things out of our control. This stress manifests itself in our dreams. That's my thoughts anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would enjoy living to see 99, especially if my back felt better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The problem with history is we pick up on the miserable times and forget there was happy times as well. Your dreams are very vivid, dripping dead man, shivers at the thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the basics of life change very little through time. The values remain the same despite the changes in technology, etc.

      Delete
  10. I enjoy reading Pepys' Diary. His entries during the "Great Fire" take you right there to experience it all with him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me too. What an unintentional gift he left behind. I like that he could walk through a London park and get home to write, "Met up with the King and the Duke of York whilst walking in St. James". We live in a superficial age of celebrity. Can you imagine a modern king rolling his sleeves up and going out to help pull down houses with ropes as a fire breaK, setting an example to his subjects working along side him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think William might do although there would be a lot of fuss, not necessarily of his making, around him.

      Delete
  12. Once upon a river by Diane Setterfield begins with a scene just like that. A half-drowned dripping man walks into a village pub late one night - not a white-painted pub, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The slave ship by Turner comes to mind

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. Another question which confuses me.

      Delete
    2. I remember a drowned man, who was really fully drowned, in Jamaica Inn, with smugglers and wreckers.

      Delete
  15. Oh look, John and I both responded at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The thought of that dark liquid makes me feel quite ill!

    ReplyDelete