Saturday 11 September 2021

Mrs Worthington was warned


H.I. was looking out of the window whilst I was preoccupied with something else and she saw thousands - she swears - of Jane Austen characters parade by in the street.

We often see groups of 50 or so people dressed in early 19th century attire promenading around here, but apparently this latest lot took a quarter of an hour to file past.

When I looked out they had gone, but I did notice a poster near the bridge, warning us residents about filming in the locality. So that's it. They are going to foist yet another Jane bloody Austen film on the insatiable public.

I just don't get it. Jane Austen novels are tedious, fatuous, repetitive and boring. The films are even worse.

I feel the same way about the self-declared 'genius', Oscar Wilde. His plays are nothing but a never-ending series of trite clichés masquerading as incisive observations by the privileged upper classes, with whom he was obsessed. 

My father felt the same way about Noel Coward. Whenever Coward was respectfully referred to as 'The Master' on TV or whatever, my father could hardly contain his disdain, mumbling, "The Master my arse..."

I sort of know what he meant. Coward was an ordinary working-class Londoner who was also obsessed with the aristocracy, but he wrote some good stuff and didn't get himself imprisoned by being too clever about his homosexuality under oath, and he finished up as the darling of Society in his perpetual bow tie and silk dressing gown. That took real genius.

I suppose that my father - who came from generations of East End Londoners - was simply homophobic by today's standards and resented being preached at by people who he considered 'pansies'. Now I look back on it, he was probably the most classically masculine man I have ever known, but he was very uneasy in most social circumstances.

When my dad was being shot down by Germans as a gunner in Bomber Command, Noel Coward's contribution to the war effort was to be filmed standing on the bridge of a naval destroyer in a duffle coat with a pair of binoculars round his neck, drinking cocoa. The most discomfort he experienced was someone out of shot throwing water over him. That must have rankled. 

22 comments:

  1. I agree with you about Austen and Wilde and Coward too. Coward's heart was in the right place and he intended to do his bit in the war and wanted to and in the end he did but not with guns. At least he stayed unlike some, like Auden and Isherwood for instance, who upped and left or just stayed away and didn't come back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In which we serve was a film coward was very proud of
    Apparently when his involvement was criticised for being too “ posh” he was crushed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you mean 'performance'. I wonder if he would have made a better job of being a working class Londoner than Dick Van Dyke.

      Delete
    2. Not only his performance… Coward wrote the screenplay and co directed it
      He based his own character on Mountbatten
      But wasn’t as gruff

      Delete
  3. Interesting (to me) fact: The reason why everyone incessantly drank tea throughout WW2 was because we bought a staggering 698 million pounds of it before the war had properly begun. Europeans were left to make coffee from acorns and we became the tea drinking nation that we were until the arrival of Starbucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got so absorbed with reading you three and what you have to say about it all that I have forgotten what the original 'thought for the day' was. But I do agree about Jane Austen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had an English teacher who said when he was feeling a bit fed up he liked to go to bed with Jane Austen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's no determining taste. What's wonderful for one is dreadful for another. Projecting a strong persona can be quite humorous albeit true/false at the same time. Not a big deal, really.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back to Jane Austen, it is a good romantic read, and easy to deal with if it is required reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to google Noel Coward and came across a photo of him in swimming trunks which revealed rather more than I ever wanted to know about him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...and I had to google Iris' picture of Noel Coward, which reveals rather more about me than I ever wanted to know. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't blame a girl for wanting to have a 'looksy'!!

      Delete