Wednesday 28 July 2021

Rachel's post


Tom has invited me to write a guest post here on his blog.  In the absence of a topic set for the post I have chosen to write about Socrates and philosophy in brief.

Socrates is suitable because both me and Tom hold him in high esteem.  

My thoughts on this are jumbled and came out of my head whilst laying in bed this morning so bear with me.

 

If I dare to open my mouth and express my thoughts on Covid 19  I have been told, erroneously I might add, that I am a conspiracy theorist, told to fuck off, and other things besides.   That I am a conspiracy theorist is not and has never been true but I have questioned many things out loud on my blog about the scientists, the BMA, the WHO, the statistics and now,  more so than early on in the pandemic,  exactly who is controlling Boris Johnson;  is he controlling himself;  has he lost control of his Cabinet;  is somebody else controlling him;   or perhaps none of these statements are true.   I don't think anybody knows the answers to these questions so I am not expecting you to answer nor least of all do I want political rants.

 

This brings me to Socrates, because he liked to question everything and to the answers he received,  he countered with another question.  For this he made many enemies and eventually was charged with morally corrupting the young for questioning moral values and for undermining morals.   He was basically a pain in the next to the political hierarchy of Athens.

 

In conducting his defence Socrates sought to find out whether anyone was wiser than him.  The oracles of the day came back to him and said no, nobody is wiser than you.  Socrates was baffled and he tested what the oracle said.    Socrates who  always claimed to know absolutely  nothing, concluded that "I am wiser than all of them only to this extent that I do not think that I know what I do not know".  

During the pandemic self awareness does not go amiss.

     

So as Socrates said,  lead a virtuous and a  flourishing life and seek knowledge all the time and everyday question your own life and how best you can live it.  Virtue is knowledge and the soul is far more important than wealth.   The word flourish meant knowledge in the time of Socrates and the only way to flourish was to seek to learn all the time.

 

Blogging is like a ritual, a ritual meeting space and within these blogs a meeting place of those we wish to meet at least in theory but it doesn't always work that simply.     Being part of a blog we find community fellowship with other but the problem of sharing in public and what you put in and what you leave out puts us  in a position of vulnerability and that can be misinterpreted and abused.   This would not stop Socrates and his questions so it doesn't stop me.

27 comments:

  1. Well said. I feel suitably chastised, but I do seem to remember you telling a lot of people to fuck off in the past. Put it this way, I am not going to take hemlock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. The typeface changed when copying but I cannot be arsed to deal with it.

      Delete
    2. I wasn't actually referring to you telling me to fuck off in this instance but I am sure it has happened.

      Thanks for inviting me to guest here.

      Delete
    3. 'In this instance'! I always take things personally.

      Delete
    4. There’s been lots of fucks and offs over the years
      Same as a family

      Delete
  2. So often these days, it does seem as if people are ready to jump to the wrong conclusion and attack the person who is writing or speaking. There is a lot of anger and hate preventing us from asking the questions and listening to the answers and looking for compromises and areas of agreement.
    We often have more in common than not, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surely the sheer fact that we are bloggers, that we read one another's posts and comment on them, agreeing or disagreeing, counts for something. I love it when folk comment on my post and I like to imagine us all meeting in my sitting room and discussing it over a drink. Isn't that what blogging is all about? At least it is for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true Weave and it is all that for me. What I was talking about was the sharing of things that I am comfortable with sharing on a public platform and there is always the risk of that moment where one finds oneself completely misinterpreted and then what follows on can be complete misrepresentation. That is a risk we take I suppose.

      Delete
  4. I love the last two paragraphs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flourish and learn and lead a happy life. Socrates always wanted people to lead a happy life.

      Delete
  5. Great post - imagine if Socrates had blogged too! I have today concluded my essays on Blogging for Writers - or at least I thought I had until you prompted a further thought... It never ends... thank God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Socrates never wrote anything down. He didn't believe in writing stuff down because he felt it tied you and stopped progressive thinking, so I don't think he would have blogged! We owe it to young Plato who wrote it down and we have to rely on his word that he was speaking the truth.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I was never not going to join in, I just needed a topic so had to do a bit of quick thinking.

      Delete
  7. By questioning and exchanging views, as individuals we think more broadly and hopefully become more aware and well versed. It really opens doors for those of us seeking to open doors. That said, there will always be individuals do not wish to open doors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will always be those who follow the herd I suppose.

      Delete
  8. I admire Socrates but had to translate his discussions in Greek for school exams and disliked it. I was probably too young to appreciate the logic. He was very brave, and you are too to continue to present ideas even when people don't agree.
    I think you're right about becoming vulnerable when blogging. I imagine that I am visiting a friend when commenting on a blog and even if I disagree I hope to remain polite and friendly. It is good to be open to new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes me a while for the penny to drop with philosophy and when I started learning I wanted to give up all the way for 6 months of the course and told my tutor so which made him laugh. And then one day it all started to make sense and was worth carrying on.

      Delete
    2. I like the idea of treating blogging as visiting friends who may have different opinions to you, but I almost never actually visit friends these days and am out of practice. French intellectuals love arguing to the point of fist fights.

      Delete
    3. I like the idea of arguing to the point of fist fights. Far more healthy fun than having some Guardian reader sneering and looking down their nose at me.

      Delete
    4. Oh dear. You were doing so well until you brought the usual old spectre of the dreaded Guardian reader into the argument.

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    6. I can't be arsed to get into any argument with you, it's your blog,

      Delete