Wednesday 28 July 2021

Joanne's post


Flowers


My flower bed has dwindled over the years, from an English flower bed and a raspberry patch to an impenetrable porch of flowering pots. In truth, I had little interest in flower beds until I acquired the care of several grandchildren. 


What to do to keep them busy that first summer? The four of us set to work transforming the neglected bed in front of the house. It was a very big space, and I mentally divided it into individual plots. We began by planting wooly thyme everywhere. Ten years later it has covered the area with my best defense against weeds.


We planted bulbs everywhere. Anemones for spring, then iris and allium. Little flowers at the ground, eye catching blooms at waist level. Every perennial I could find or trade for. My friends had so many to give. Solomon’s Seal, coneflowers to make the bees happy, hibiscus to make me happy.

And on and on this garden went, for four years, and then I moved. Since I took grandchildren with me, we turned our new tiny front yard into a little English flower bed. This time all the work was by granddaughters, as I had moved on to a cane. One granddaughter turned her acquired skill into a little summer business, Weeding by Laura.

Then granddaughters left home and I moved to a home with a tiny front porch. I have culled my love of all flowers to a few to fill out my little porch. Mandevilla, red, white and pink. Zinnia, two great pots full. Salpiglossis, discovered quite by accident, and worth mastering the name. In the fall I collect the zinnia seeds and the salpiglossis in little glass jars, to save for the next year.

If Tom posts my pictures, too, you can smile at the flowers that make me happy.

13 comments:

  1. Joanne brought her own pictures with her. I have chosen everyone else's so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for selecting one for me. I assumed you would.

      Delete
  2. It is quite difficult keeping the text uniform when copying from your different systems, but at least you can still read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From my Chromebook attachments often fail completely.

      Delete
  3. I reckon I am going to have to wait a year or two for my new flowers to bloom like these Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanne - absolutely beautiful and so colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soon you will be on to your next home, Joanne. We will enjoy seeing what you plant there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m loving this eclectic blog work

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two in one day? This was supposed to last you a week, Tom. I wonder how many posts you received.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joanne, this is a beautiful post and it shows your love of the garden. Introducing your grandchildren to gardening reminds me of my Uncle showing me how to plant tulip bulbs at age 5, later tending the rose garden and growing vegetables. It is this Uncle that inspired me to this day to enjoy gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed this blog Joanne, love of flowers unit so many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely flowers! Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete