Thursday 13 August 2020

Banter makes life bearable

 


There is an app that some young people like which lets you build your own personal avatar from a limited choice of physical characteristics as imagined by a geek hiding in a broom cupboard somewhere in California. This one was sent to me by my young (ish) family friend from London. I don't think the police are going to take it up to replace Identikit.

I was with a few young people (alright - in the pub if you must know) a while ago when one of them showed me an app they had on their phone which aged the subject. They all took turns in photographing themselves, then hooted with laughter at the results. They all looked as old as me.

Then one of them suggested I do it, so my photo was taken. After the image was processed I looked exactly like I normally do. It was as if no app was involved at all. More hooted laughter.

One of them said that what ought to have happened is that my face should appear as a skull, loosely festooned with rotting flesh. More laughter.

On my last visit to the pub (the first day it reopened) I was talking to a bar wench (the one on the right in the previous post photo) and she asked me about work. I said that Covid 19 had put an end to any planned work for the foreseeable future for me, as all my clients opened to the public and they had lost all that vital revenue.

"Surely they'll have you back when it all calms down a bit?" She sounded concerned but hopeful.

"Not for at least a couple of years".

"Will you last that long...?"

More laughter.

16 comments:

  1. I must say that I quite like this new format. It - like the new blogger - is sort of fresher. Sometimes when change is forced on you it makes you feel a little younger, despite the content of of this post.

    Also, Green Eyes makes a refreshing change from a load of young bombers piling onto a truck in the 1940s. I didn't intend for her to be pushed off to the right, but now I think I quite like it and may keep it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I am still trying to work out how to make my name and mission statement in the header photo appear in white, not black. It does not seem to want to let me do it.

      Delete
    2. Move the left margin and green eyes will move left, too. I think.

      Delete
  2. I don’t like your new ‘ simple theme ‘ format ..... it’s tiny and it doesn’t seem to have ‘ view mobile version ‘ facility! It also looks very higgldy-piggldy .... apart from all that, it’s lovely 🤣🤣🤣
    My personal avatar look like me but it won’t let me put it in this comment for some reason.
    Young people are mean to us oldies sometimes ☹️ XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have work to do on it. The last template was 'simple' too, but better customised. It'll give something to do to waste more time.

      Delete
  3. I have come to the conclusion Tom that you either have to laugh or cry as you get old and laughing seems the better alternatibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no point in crying. It won't even get you sympathy.

      Delete
  4. I love the way language and laughter is used, we seem to have lost the skill of sarcasm but gentle banter is a good replacement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my friends and acquaintances are highly skilled at sarcasm.

      Delete
  5. Further to my earlier exchange about your new header etc. I confirm that the text on the laptop is normal font size.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so used to your old photo and liked it!
    Till now I did not dare to work on a new layout - I wonder if I don't like the new if II will ever find the old photograph again in my photo-cloud with more than 16.000 photos...

    ReplyDelete
  7. How strange
    I’ve just made mine who is ten times as attractive than the real thing

    ReplyDelete