Thursday 29 August 2019

England


I am actually doing a bit of paid work this week, and this weekend I am going to spend a night in David Cameron's constituency, just over the road from where Country Life was first published.

Just to retain a sense of reality I am going to visit Rollright Stones - a perfect little stone circle in the heart of the Oxfordshire countryside. Their local name is 'The King's Stones' I think.

Lambourn is famous for race-horse training and stables. There is a long-barrow near there called 'Wayland's Smithy'. If you tether your horse within the stone circle, Wayland will put knew shoes on it over night. I wonder if he changes car tyres as well?

10 comments:

  1. I'm surprised that circle isn't better known; it's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it is tucked away. That's probably how it survived. It is so small it looks very vulnerable.

      Delete
  2. I am surprised to read that David Cameron still has a constituency. Pity someone hasn't put his head on a stake in the middle of the stone circle, he has a lot to answer for.
    But not as much as Bojo will have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to avoid contention in this post, but I suppose just mentioning his name was enough.

      Delete
  3. Perfect circle.
    I have a pair of shoes which could do with being mended - any chance Wayland might mend them if I left them lying around - cobblers are as rare as hens' teeth these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought Cameron was hidden away in his shepherds hut writing his memoirs, but I can't imagine who would want to buy it?
    There is a lovely walk called Shakespear's Way that goes all of the way from the Rollright Stones (the only name that I know) to Chipping Norton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has dinner with my friend's landlord regularly. If I meet him I will just give him a weary look and maybe start humming a tune - 'do do do de do...'

      I may drive that route.

      Delete
  5. Our native peoples did not leave barrows. They did leave mounds, not so old as barrows, but quite as fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the days when the Ridgeway was open to all vehicles I once rode a motorcycle along to Wayland's Smithy and stopped to view. He didn't even clean the mud off it let alone change the worn rear tyre (but I must admit I didn't leave him the required silver sixpence!)

    ReplyDelete