Thursday 4 July 2019

Good morning


Last night we watched 'Lucky', a film set in a remote and run-down town in a bit of Texas desert close to Mexico, with A 90 year-old Harry Dean Stanton playing a 90 year-old Harry Dean Stanton, AKA 'Lucky'.

I thought it was a great film, but I am so susceptible to melancholic and bleak scenarios and landscapes that it mildly depressed me. I have always been impressionable, but in my younger days I could compare such scenes favourably with my bright, imagined future, and they made me feel good. These days I identify with Lucky's character but do not expect to reach his age in such good health.

Yesterday someone asked me if I was a 'glass half full' person or a 'glass half empty'. I thought about it for a moment, then realised that I have moments when I am a 'glass completely empty' sort of person, but today is not one of those days.

The weather is beautifully sunny, the temperature is perfect and I am working outside on a new project for a new client in the diffused light beneath my white gazebo.

Ironically, although I have signed no confidentiality agreement with this client, I still cannot show you photos of the items because I am designing and fitting a security feature for them to prevent an easy theft. If I described that to the whole world here it would be giving the game away a bit and their insurance would probably be invalidated.

Good morning.

24 comments:

  1. I am a glass positively overbrimming kind of person. Good to hear your positivity on this beautiful day. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear yours too Jack@. Don't spill anything.

      Delete
  2. Good morning. Glad to hear the weather is well. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning on this new day. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not heard of "Lucky". Was in on tv or at the threatre? You made me smile with the glass half full / empty reference. I have a set of stemless wine glasses with a line across the middle and the word optimist above the line and pessimist below. I haven't used these glasses for a long time. I'm now going to bring them out. For the longest time I searched for the "happiness" answer and tried to stop being such a pessimist. That's why I bought the glasses. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of those glasses. It was a DVD.

      Delete
  5. Stay in the moment, Tom, and fight that old bear. I hope your moments are all good today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a bit hot and sweaty right now but I have made progress thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My engineer son would say that if the glass seems half full or half empty, it is the wrong size glass. I wish you well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No wonder there is a shortage of engineers in this country.

      Delete
  8. Like you I flutuate between half full and half empty. Such is life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harry Dean Stanton was a gem of an actor. I've not heard of Lucky. I imagine that's his last film effort?

    Enjoy the lovely weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a glass half full person apart from in February when the glass is empty and I'm not worth knowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has never been a better month than February for refilling your glass.

      Delete
  11. A happy post. It would be nice to work in dappled sunlight through a gazebo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An added bonus is that there are very few horseflies this year. They can ruin it.

      Delete
  12. Just watched 'Lucky'-twice. Thanks for the recommendation. I really loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this bright and optimistic post Tom. I have just ordered "Lucky" on your recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just found out it was filmed in Arizona, not Texas. That makes more sense of the landscape.

      Delete