Tuesday 18 June 2019

The Great Game


I am really hoping that Rory Stewart will become the next leader of the Conservative party, and consequently the interim Prime Minister of GB until the next General Election - for a variety of reasons.

For a start, he is a gift to satirical cartoonists. They all practice like crazy when a new face appears on the scene, but with him the work is all done for them by his parents. He is a gift to satirical cartoonists.

Secondly (and before Colonel Blimp goes off on one about the BBC being prejudiced against anyone who attended a public school - even a minor one which nobody has ever heard of like his) I like that he went to Eton. I personally know many people who went there, and I can tell you that it either makes or breaks you in terms of political ambitions. I also had a couple of girlfriends who went to Roedean, and they were not short of opinions either.

Thirdly, Stewart spent some time in Afghanistan as a 'diplomat'. I like diplomats. They may be devious but they are pragmatists. I only ever knew one top 'diplomat', and he served in the USSR before the war - Sir John Lawrence. It was his niece I was going out with and it was him who insisted that she be sent to Roedean when her brothers were also sent to all-male public schools.

Stewart may have been a spook (he is certainly using the rumours to his advantage) and if he was a 'high achiever' in his game, then this will make a refreshing contrast to all the other inexperienced and lily-livered bastards who are trying to get the post as supposed favourites.

Last of all, I like to think of him as a member of a sleeper-cell for the Scottish Nationalists. The Royal house of Stewart has never properly recovered from Elizabeth the First's court machinations, even if the Stone of Scone is now back in... err... wherever it is. Holyrood House?

My Plantagenet friend has left it a bit too late to get the throne back now, so Rory Stewart will have to do.

My father was a true Cockney and my mother was from landed gentry stock. I am not a lefty. I am a Royalist.

21 comments:

  1. Well, fair play to you Mr Tom. I like a man who gives it straight with no holds barred.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like yesterday's post better. I can follow lathe work far more easily than political. When did you last clean that dangerous beast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never cleaned it. I oil it every now and then.

      Delete
  3. I'm surprised you didn't use the 'Monarch of the Glen' photo of him; it's perfect for those satirists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. Never let your ignorance of England's most ancient schools stand in the way of a good slur.

      Delete
    2. I don't. Even with Hogwarts.

      Delete
  4. I watched last evening's painful debate - thought it was my duty. Painful it might have been but the only one who (cleverly) kept his dignity intact was Boris who rarely interrupted. It did him no harm at all that not arguing and interrupting - he's a clever one that and I fear he is home and dry. Oh dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he didn't interrupt and only spoke when spoken to was because he had nothing of any importance to say, Weave.

      Delete
  5. Rory Steward was the only candidate who was totally honest about what the future holds for us all on the 31st October - the others just fudged the question and pretended that all will be OK.
    You are right about him being a gift to satirical cartoonists - the other candidates sat on their stools revealing identical poses whilst Rory's matchstick legs were all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alec Douglas-Home set the precedent for odd-looking Prime Ministers.

      Delete
  6. Stewart has just been voted down. It's Boris or Gove.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank God Stewart has gone. What an embarrassment he was. It would have been him trying a 4th vote on May's "deal" which has already failed 3 times. No wonder the Remainers love him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. pity he has gone...the only candidate backed by Ken Clarke..a man of principle and very plain speaking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Ken Clarke too. The Labour Party could do with him right now.

      Delete
    2. Stewart might as well join Labour

      Delete
    3. He reminds me of the Millibands. Odd-looking kids.

      Delete
  9. Yes, if only Ken Clarke had stopped Cameron being PM we would not be where we are. I am a great admirer of Ken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These days it is all about young, thrusting politicians. Ken's experience counts for nothing so he gets relegated to the House of Lords.

      Delete