Thursday 20 June 2019

More fish in the sea


Yesterday was a landmark. I finally finished and installed a job which had been dragging on for about a year. From almost being thrown in a skip to being placed on a marble plinth (also made by me) in a very prominent position in the client's house. Very nerve-wracking. What if they didn't like it?

Even though the figure sculpture is plaster of Paris and the marble plinth is hollow, it still weighs over a quarter of a ton, so the risk of accidental damage was very high. Also nerve-wracking.

So now I have another project in the C.V. which I cannot show anyone. On the positive side, I begin the first job for a new client next week, and this coincides with my wordy advert being published in a magazine the same date. It is wordy because I cannot include photos for reasons already mentioned. Like the current bunch of Party Leader hopefuls, I will be spending the next couple of weeks blowing my own trumpet. I think I can make a better job of it than them. I think I could make a better job of Prime Minister than them too.

Also over the next couple of weeks I will be making my own Bottarga. Remember when I wrote about my late discovery of Bottarga a few months ago? In case you don't, Bottarga is a typically Italian thing made from fish roe dried with salt. The process is very simple but very painstaking, with a salt-change twice a day for 14 days. This is why it costs a fortune to buy ready prepared.

When the process is finished (in my case it is cod roe, but mullet is more traditional) you are left with the deep, rust-red sac of roe, ready to grate over pasta. That's all you need for a delicious meal - pasta sprinkled with Bottarga. It is very intense. A little goes a long way.

The most expensive meals in Italian restaurants are usually extremely simple, with only two ingredients. I am thinking of pasta with a grating of precious white truffle over the top.

My £6 investment is going to go a very long way. I'm looking forward to the journey.

21 comments:

  1. I have asked at my Fishmonger's for Bottarga, but they just say 'no'. I think I have to travel further south.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that the work is coming in ... you’ll be inundated once the advert is published.
    How are your night scented stocks doing ? XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took some of your advices and fertilised them. They perked up! I'll keep you informed.

      Delete
  3. I like roe. I fry it. Usually herring. Roe is best kept simple. Fish roe with salt sounds good.

    I am glad you finished your current work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Herring roe is usually from the male fish. I like proper roe from the females, which are eggs. Eating herring roe is basically spunk on toast.

      Delete
    2. That must be why I like it so much. I don't have it in toast. I like it simple.

      Delete
    3. One swallow does not Anne Summers make.

      Delete
  4. I love roe toasted and eaten on toast. Might have it for tea now you have suggested it;

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bottarga sounds divine. May the process of making it go well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like your Roman fish. As for bottarga, I'd not realised you could make it at home. If it works out for you, I'll give it a whirl. Your hot tip of denture tablets in the loo has caught on chez nous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hope and ambition is that I will become as useful in the kitchen as I am in the loo for you.

      Delete
    2. I am waiting (not hoping) for the demise of Dr Ruth before I move on to the bedroom.

      Delete
    3. PPS - Dr Ruth always reminds me of Shawn Maeder. (This is just a ruse to bring her back into circulation)

      Delete
    4. Shawn Maeder? I Googled but could not figure. Dr Ruth, meanwhile, is going nowhere yet. Rather like a small-statured dog living twice as long as the big 'uns, at 1.4m she should live to at least 100.

      Step-by-step documentation of your pending success with the bottarga will set you on the path to Lifestyle Blogger.

      Delete
  7. Secret squirrel jobs are the best! Sometimes I get a new client wanting to see examples of my work and I have to tell them there's this thing called commercial sensitivity ffs. Mostly I won't work with them. 2o plus years of experience if they can't trust that them fuck em

    ReplyDelete