Monday 17 June 2019

Turn, turn, turn



Marble socle restoration. My spell-checker doesn't know the word 'socle', but there again it doesn't recognise Brexit either.

I have a lathe on which I can turn stone and marble up to 10 inches in diameter. It is a Health and Safety officer's nightmare.

It did have a cage guard for the belt drive but it kept getting in the way so I took it off.

The thing I like about it best is that I have mounted the on/off switch so that you have to lean over the spinning stone to turn it off. It keeps you focussed and on your toes. You have to maintain high levels of concentration.

Handy hint: Never illuminate lathes using a fluorescent tube. If the RPM matches the strobe-flashing of the tube, it appears as if the lump of spinning stone is perfectly motionless.

12 comments:

  1. Whatever the possible dangers on the way the photograph of the finished product is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's only part of it Weave. A restoration, not a creation I have to say.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Weave. Is it a solid piece of marble? (My father was a great one for removing safety devices!) -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's solid. Safety devices can lull you into a false sense of safety I think.

      Delete
  3. Working with the lathe would make a nice change from restoring the face or arm of an old statue day after day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to switch off at the same time as being utterly in the moment.

      Delete
  4. Reading that you have to lean over the spinning stone to reach the off switch made me think: "And he's probably wearing a tie while doing it!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stop short of a tie with moving machinery. How are you Iris? Long time since I heard from you.

      Delete
    2. Ohhhhhhh! You remember who I am! Well, I am 'chuffed', as y'all say! Well, I have still been reading everything with interest. But some time ago I took a step back from commenting in general due to an online run-in with the German asshat. Her ugliness just makes me recoil, and I simply retreated. Of course, the right attitude is not to let her ugliness affect me. Weeeeeell, easier said than done. Occasionally I now stick my toe back in the water and leave a comment here and there. I'm very excited about the stone work that you are doing and that you are allowed to show us!

      Delete
    3. Only just seen this Iris. Come back. Fuck that German madwoman and to hell with John fucking Gray.

      Delete