Tuesday 14 August 2018

The Good Companions


I have been waking up well before dawn a lot recently and worrying a great deal about my future, which I cannot seem to focus upon, as if it lay the other side of a great bank of fog. You never quite get up to it. By nature it is always out of reach - always drifting away from you.

I wish I could say that it is a consolation to me to remind myself that I am not the only one around here feeling this way, and I may be considered as fortunate by comparison, but it is not. Sorry.

To drive the negative thoughts out of my head, I tune in to radio with headphones. This morning it was to the first, one-hour episode of a J. B. Priestley play starring Tom Baker as a Music Hall villain/magician. Much of it was recorded on location at a theatre in Oldham, with live orchestra and audience.

I really love J. B. Priestley. He is just the sort of good-natured English escapism I need right now, and the historical settings are just far enough away to be not quite remembered - first hand - by anyone except veteran ex-child actors who cut their teeth in Music Hall, and there aren't many of them left.

Most of Priestley's stuff rides along on small circles of companionship, making it the ideal antidote to modern divisiveness. Also, much of it is set in theatres - escapism within escapism.

I wonder if those days really existed. I see no reason why not, and he doesn't shy away from all the usual nastiness that goes on when more than three people get together, or the trials and tribulations that affect everyone in life.

I studied 'The Good Companions' at school. I think it should go back on the curriculum, but I bet it won't. They probably want something more forward-looking. Something more modern. Something more nasty.


6 comments:

  1. I liked what Priestly said about Norwich. In the 1930s he visited for one night. He described it in an understated way as Betjeman might have done. He went for an evening walk from his hotel soon after 6pm and found everywhere closed. He could have been talking today. He couldn't wait to leave. But I liked the way he said it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samuel Johnson said derogatory things about Bath too, but I didn't take it personally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly JB Priestly seems to have faded into obscurity a bit these days Tom. I saw him once in Hubberholme churchyard in Wharfedale - it was one of his favourite churches and I rather think his ashes are scattered there. I had quite a long chat with him and he was such a nice friendly chap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a mental picture of you waking up at dawn under your navy blue duvet ...... I’m worried about you worrying. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you had a camera installed in my room Jack@?

      Delete