Thursday 19 July 2018

Nerve agent and nature walks


It is now almost official. It was - of course - Russians who brought the nerve agent to Salisbury. The police have scrutinised Salisbury CCTV footage and compared it to similar footage and records of several Russian men coming and going through an airport.

They should be able to name these men and apply for their extradition to face murder, attempted murder and terrorism charges here in the U.K., but of course they will be protected by the Russian Federation as they protect all their assassins.

Changing the subject (somewhat) I was standing next to some vegetation on the fringe of the field alongside my workshop yesterday, when the man beside me pointed down and said, "Look at that enormous Hedgehog."

I became quite excited because it has been years since I have seen a live Hedgehog, and never one right outside my rural shack. I looked into the gap in a patch of parched grass and saw nothing. I began to think it had scuttled off when my friend said, "Look - there it is!"

I started to think I was going blind. I still could see nothing. Then he put his finger six inches away from it saying, "No, not a Hedgehog. I meant a Cricket. Look at the size of it." It was about an inch long.

This man is 69 years old and his younger girlfriend has just given birth to a baby girl. I bet he cannot wait until she is old enough to take on nature walks in the countryside.

24 comments:

  1. I went into the garden the other night and heard a lot of noise in the hedge and assumed it was a cat and started talking in the direction of the noise(leaves rustling, much movement). When it emerged it was an enormous hedgehog. They are not unusual here though. We don't get crickets. The baby better hurry up and grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rats with spines. I don't feed them. They use my garden as a highway to the neighbouring properties.

      Delete
    2. I gather you don't contribute to the Mrs Tiggywinkle trust?

      Delete
  2. Perhaps he should have kept his LBW?

    LX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of big Crickets here. Sadly my mower doesn't distinguish between Crickets and Grass. I feel terrible about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a hedgehog on my porch. Reinforced plastic construction. It was a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son saw one in his garden this morning so there are still a few about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apparently they are like pheasants and try to knock cars down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, pheasants can fly, but seldom do when on roads. Hedgehogs can't, but are much blinder than pheasants.

      Delete
  7. We used to have zillions of hedgehogs in our garden ..... haven’t seen one for a while.
    Sounds like your friend is like the rest of us around his age ..... mixing up our words ! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. I imagine his child growing up learning all the wrong names for insects and animals. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hedgehogs 🦔 are so cute. I have to admit I haven’t seen one but in captivity or on tv vet shows like Dr Pol. He’s on YouTube too. Gabs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That emoji didn't work for me. I get a square box. My machine has a limited vocabulary.

      Delete
  10. I think this is one of the most significant information for me.
    And i’m glad reading your article.
    But should remark on some general things, the web site style is perfect,
    the articles is really great : D. Good job…
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete