Sunday 11 February 2018

Sunday sermon


I like this story.

In the middle of the night, a man called Noah is awoken by the voice of God.

God says, "Noah. The second Great Flood is taking place, but make no preparations, for I will save you."

Thinking he was dreaming, Noah goes back to sleep but when he looks out of the window in the morning, there is water everywhere and it is rising steadily.

He gets dressed and goes outside, safe in the knowledge of God's salvation. He wades around until the water is up to his waist, whereupon an inflatable dinghy appears in the street with two firemen as crew. The firemen tell him to climb into their boat, because the water is still rising and set to rise to a great height.

"It's ok thanks. God will save me," he says, and the men go away to find other people to rescue.

The water continues rising until it reaches his chin, but Noah does not panic.

A helicopter hovers over his head and someone shouts at him through a loudspeaker, telling him that they will drop a rope and harness to winch him to safety, but he shouts back, "Don't worry. I have an arrangement with God. He will save me."

The helicopter give up on him and fly away, and the water rises even further until it goes over his head and drowns him.

Up in Heaven, Noah is furious and demands to speak to God. When he is let into God's office, he says to Him, "I thought you said you were going to save me!"

God says, "I sent you a boat and a helicopter. What more could I do?"

11 comments:

  1. Very good story, so I presume "God saves those who save themselves"...?
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't have to work in mysterious ways all the time.

      Delete
  2. Thomas Aquinas would like this, in fact if he was alive now he might have written it. He said things like God created good, and when questioned about where evil came from and why God allows it, Aquinas said God would shrug his shoulders and say tough, I gave you good, you made the evil, nothing to do with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone once said that it was not that God doesn't care that bothered him. It was that he doesn't care one way or the other.

      Delete
    2. I once heard a sermon where the priest was talking about 'prayer'. He ended up by saying that we all have to accept that occasionally god's answer is NO. I thought, what a bloody cop-out!

      Delete
  3. Noah is way ahead of me in faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, but he reads too much into it. Life on Earth is life on Earth.

      Delete
  4. Knowing the story makes it not less worthy -- and yes: only sitting and waiting and hoping is not my cup of tea (sounds like the old Rolling Stones' song "The Spider and The Fly" --- "sitting, drinking, thinking...moping, hoping...").

    ReplyDelete