Monday 12 February 2018

Beyond belief

Tonight the whole place smells like my Art College. H.I. has begun a large painting.

Fucking charities. Most of them are sitting on huge cash-mountains rather than helping the people we have given them the money to do just that on our behalf. Much of the money comes from the government, who have entrusted them to build Aid infrastructures which they do not have the time or will to do themselves.

It gets worse. Some of the highest paid of the charities organisers are alledged to be sexual tourists who go to disaster areas such as Haiti in order to eat in the best restaurants, stay in the best hotels and use under-age girls or boys for sex. The highest paid get around $500,000 a year to live this sort of life, and it is your money.

It gets even worse. Before discovery, they not only undermine the valuable work of their lower paid associates, but in doing so, they take the aid away from the most vulnerable of the countries which they are supposed to be helping, because the whole charity is punished for their vile and corrupt practices. Can you imagine paying someone a huge salary so that they can get their hands on vulnerable children? It is just beyond belief.

Most charities stink when you get up to a certain level in the hierarchy, just like organised religion. Time to get real.

15 comments:

  1. Cash reasons:.....That's why's I work for Samaritans there are only a hundred and fifty salaried staff total for the nationwide charity ...the rest are all volunteers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are they transparent about their salaries? Most of Oxfam's shop staff are volunteers. I was told that Oxfam has spent £40 pounds million in Haiti and is still sitting on £130 million which is supposed to have already been spent.

      Delete
    2. Yes, we get to see the accounts.

      Delete
  2. I remember an African hotelier saying he could tell which of his guests worked for UK charities, because they always asked if their bills could be doubled. If their jolly cost £500, they wanted to claim back £1,000. Charming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That used to be common practice so it's probably only NGOs that do it now.

      Delete
  3. It is despicable, what's happened. I suspect its just the tip of the iceberg. Another case of man's inhumanity to man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it is limited to a relatively small amount of people - at least I hope so.

      Delete
  4. I used to volunteer for Red Cross. On the wee ground level, directly helping folk displaced by fire or natural disaster was straight-forward. Money went to those in immediate need. On the macro-level it seems is where shit falls apart and very badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am told that Oxfam is still sitting on £130 million pounds earmarked for Haiti.

      Delete
  5. The London Marathon Charity is an example of greed and dictatorship. Only the bare minimum facts as legally required are given in the end of year audit. One director is paid £250,000. unnamed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who made all his money running the London to Brighton charity bike ride.

      Delete
  6. I am utterly disgusted, but not astonished. I like people and think there is good in most of them - but I have met too many who are corupted by success, begin to think they are God Himself and thus lose all moral. I've observed it in more than one hierarchy, live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said Tom. I have withdrawn my support from all but Medicins sans Frontieres - i just hope that it is still without stain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Dad said this of charities years ago ... it made me wary.
    I rather like the smell of paint. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know where money will come from to underwrite the big stuff, like restoring power, roads, homes. But at the bottom it's still people helping people.

    ReplyDelete