Monday 15 January 2018

Marion


This bad photo is of a drawing made by one of H.I.'s students a while ago. The original was stolen so I did my best at enhancing this blurred picture, then enlarged it to A3 to give to her as a little present.

If you were to see the artist, you would never think of her making such good work. She is a 90-something year old Welsh lady who - in the last few years - has mobility problems that have prevented her from attending H.I.'s classes as she had done for many years. She has made many more drawings and paintings which are truly as good as this.

Just before Christmas we tried to call her to deliver it, but there was no reply. This is very unusual because she seldom leaves the sheltered accommodation these days.

I tried calling the hospital around New Year's Eve, but - of course - I had chosen the wrong time to try to find out if she was on the admittance register. Nobody answered the phone. I may have chosen the wrong decade, as far as the NHS problems are concerned.

I hope she is ok, but since she lived on her own with no regular visitors aside from a carer, it may be some time until we find out.

24 comments:

  1. Oh no ... I hope she's OK ..... the drawing is amazing ... I would have loved to have seen more of her work. Has she always drawn or did she come to it in later life ? XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is the only one we have, Jack@. She has been drawing for years, but I don't know how many. In the war she was a look-out observer on the South Coast.

      Delete
  2. The drawing is very good in my in-expertly opinion. I am glad that you have a photo of it as the original was stolen. It's a little piece of legacy, especially as something may have happened to the artist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who would steal a drawing from a 91-year old lady?? I don't care how much you love art, you don't steal from a great grandmother! All thieves are heartless, but this one especially so.

    P.S. Is Marion the name of the artist, or the name of the model?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pinched in a public area, so the thief would not have known her age.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and Marion is her name, not the model's.

      Delete
    3. Good artwork has a habit of disappearing amongst students, especially at interview times.

      Delete
    4. Sorry, that was supposed to appear with Maria.

      Delete
    5. That is true. Even bad artwork goes missing, but a lot of bad artwork ends up in galleries too.

      Delete
  4. That's sad that someone would steal from her. I hope you find out how she is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In one way it is flattery when someone steals your artwork.

      Delete
  5. Ask the neighbours . OAP neighbours generally know everything

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is beautiful! Incredible that a 90 year old lady drew that!
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Obviously a very talented lady. I do hope she is alright and you soon make contact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a sad story attached to her which I cannot really go into, but it ends up with her children disowning her unjustly.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like a plot from Dickens.

      Delete
    3. It is even more sordid and depressing than a Dickens story.

      Delete