Thursday 8 September 2011

One mile from land


Wind and rain continue to lash against the flimsy canopy of my plastic garden gazebo (Homebase - £15) on the third day that my glamorous assistant is available for work now that his daughter is back to school; so it is the third day in a row that he will not be taking over where my other - not so glamorous - assistant left off, having been convicted of GBH, and now awaiting the outcome of an appeal.

I look out of the window and think, 'Nah. It's not going to happen', so wander aimlessly over to the computor to see if anyone owes me any money, only to find it's the other way round.

A friend of mine has just blithely agreed to help crew a small racing yacht for another friend of mine (who is a qualified captain) this coming October, and returning this boat to the Canary Isles from Portsmouth (after the owner has flown over by plane to meet it - that should have been a give-away) involves a two-day trip across the Bay of Biscay.

He has spent the last few evenings frightening himself by looking up sailing forums on the subject of 'Idiots who try to cross the Bay of Biscay in the Autumn' and is now scared shitless.

He tells me that there are some very exciting video clips of small boats attempting to survive the high seas of Biscay to be seen on You Tube, and I advise him to stop watching them now. Deal with the situation when it arises, I say, but he looks out of the window at the horizontal rain being driven by a steady (ish) 30 MPH wind, and knows that this is but nothing to what is going on out there in the oceans. I try to settle his mind by nonchalantly commenting that it will probably all blow over by October, but we both know I am inwardly enjoying winding him up with my misplaced optimism.

I also tell him that - in any event - the experience will be character forming for him, 'It will make a man of you', I say. I think he must sense the irony in my voice though, because - at the age of 62 - if his character isn't fully formed by now, it would take more than drowning to death to add any little nuance to his personality, or to sprout a couple of extra hairs on his chest.

It is amazing what some people will put themselves through, simply to enjoy themselves. I have always been of the Hobbit persuasion, preferring to stay in the Shire and sit around of an evening with slippers on my huge, hairy feet. The closest I ever get to deliberately trying to kill myself is smoking tobacco, as I sit around of an evening with slippers on my huge, hairy feet, and a glass of wine in my big, hairy hand. If some human-sized wizard turned up and told me that it was my duty to Save The World by embarking on a one-way trip into the depths of Mordor, I would tell him to fuck off.

Even as a child, I was blessed with an innate sense of self preservation which bordered on the edge of cissyness. My older brother would be continually going back and forth to hospital with some minor/major injury caused in an idiotic attempt to have fun, but I would - so my mother told me - be looking out for danger from the moment I woke up, and well before I learnt to walk on my own, two feet.

This didn't stop me from messing about with high-explosives, but I always felt that I knew what I was doing, and the explosions usually took the form of controlled experiments. I stopped short of mixing my own blend of nitro-glycerine (despite having all the ingredients to hand) at the age of 12, so this shows you how eminently sensible I was as a kid, despite evidence to the contrary.

A few years ago, the same captain as mentioned above, asked me if I would like to crew for him on a similar boat-delivery, and I told him that I could not even swim, let alone sail a boat. He just said, "A lot of sailors cannot swim. Just remember, no matter how far you are out to sea, you are never more than one mile away from land."

I asked him how this could be true, and he simply pointed his finger downward, toward an imaginary and distant ocean floor.

13 comments:

  1. What a fab read! Thanks Tom. I have massive respect for the sea, and once thought my time was up on a ferry crossing home from France. Gale force winds are not the best to sail in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very entertaining post, Tom, especially the well-nuanced misplaced optimism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you... it would take a team of shire horses to drag me into a boat for a "pleasure" sail.....I cannot see the logic of it all...I really can't.
    Mind you I am a big girl's blouse when faced with danger....
    so speaks the man that had to be led off the observation platform of the Seattle space needle by an 70 year old Japanese granny

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only been sailing twice. Once on the Fraser Strait in BC where there was no wind and we had to use the engine all the time. Second my neighbor bought a sail boat in an attempt to look either wealthy and worldly or both. (he was neither) He and his wife took us for a sale on Lake Ontario. His inept attempt to sail this boat was horrific and scared the crap out of me. He had no idea! He still has the boat and talks endlessly about his sailing adventures, yet I think it is more a cabin on the water.

    Your poor friend....what a task to cross that sea...that;s what money can buy I guess....someone to sail your boat while you fly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband was once 'invited' to join a crew sailing a newly-built catamaran from Brussels to the Caribbean. Thank goodnes work intervened and he couldn't go. The crossing was horrendous, endless days of gales and bad weather and them having to put into port to drop off one of the crew who spend all those endless days throwing his heart up. It astonishes me how some mystical (and false) romance survives the gruesome reality of these adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My eldest recently sailed through the Bay of Biscay, en route for Bilbao; it was as smooth as a baby's thingy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my god. I hate the sea. I am seasick from just watching it. I had never thought of that one mile theory. Now I hate it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the sea...from the shoreline. I got talked into going on one of those 'ginormous' pleasure cruise ships last year and couldn't wait to get off that GD boat. It mostly consisted of too many people and a constant feeling of motion underfoot. Thank God I didn't know of the one mile from land concept...that would have further freaked me out. Dry land for me.

    By the way - just got a visual of your slippered 'huge, hairy feet' and laughed out loud. Good blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sea features quite a lot in our lives as my husband scuba dives and taught it, my brother-in-law sails on the Tall Ships, we used to have a speed boat and our friends in Wales have a boat. When in Wales one Summer, my husband and I, and Welsh boat owner went out to sea for some mackeral fishing and, storms started brewing and the sea got very angry and the men suggested that I swam to shore as, they were very worried , so, I donned a wet suit and flippers and dived in while they tried to take the boat into the harbour. All went well and I swam into the bay. I noticed a bus at the top so, had to sit on the bus back to town in wet suit , flippers and no money for the fare. The conductor let me off !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tom Hope your £15 Homebase gazebo survives the winter. Your friend must be stark raving bonkers - but then, he could get famous. Ellen MacArthur eat your heart out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another most entertaining post Tom! Also so enjoying all the funny sea stories in the comments. What a laff. That sailors can't swim is more or less true as I discovered when, in a previous life, I attended a Royal Navy families day on a mine-hunter sailing around the Firth of Forth some years ago. The crew put on various demonstrations for the families, including a 'man overboard' exercise which looked terrifying to me as a near non-swimmer. I casually remarked to the captain that thank goodness all the sailors are good swimmers, and he told me that the only requirement is to be able to swim five yards as the RN decided that if you can do that you will swim to save your life. I didn't bother writing to the Admiralty to enlighten them. But no doubt since ancient times, mere sailors have been regarded as easily disposable assets of the Royal Navy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am digesting all your comments right now, so I will save my reactions until a little later, but thanks to all for the feedback. (hic)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK - I have now digested all your comments, but unfortunately, I threw them all up again due to sea-sickness.

    ReplyDelete