Saturday 6 April 2024

Sun


 I thought I would capture this rare moment of sunshine to remind myself what it looked like - what it felt like, even.

The original Guildhall is the centre building and the two wings either side are late Victorian additions. They demolished some picturesque 18th century houses to add them. 

In the good old days, felons would be tried in the court inside and a gallows would be erected outside in the street roughly where the bus stop is now, so that the citizens could watch justice being done. 

To the right, there was a lovely covered market hall similar to the ones in places like Malmesbury and Tetbury, but it was demolished by the Georgians who did not like references to the past spoiling their vision of a Palladian city.

The Victorians completely rebuilt the Abbey, altering most of the 16th and 17th century features.

Now we have the Hilton Hotel. They used to say that the Hilton had the best views of central Bath because the only place you could not see it was from the inside.

The restaurants opposite the Guildhall have been taken over by Albanians, because they are the only people who can afford to run them. They park their Mercedes supercars in front of it because they can afford the parking tickets as well.

13 comments:

  1. I am coming to Bath next week - first time in a few years; I so hope the sun shines on the buildings. I usually end up wandering as my wife heads for the shops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rumour has it that it will be raining next week, and I would not mind betting that high winds will be on the menu as well.

      Delete
  2. Bath is a beautiful city. The Guildhall is a lovely building. I would love to have seen the 18 century homes that once stood there. Sunshine is a rarity today in Massachusetts. We've only had a few glimpses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live on one side of a street which is a mirror to the other side of the terrace which was demolished.

      Delete
  3. We didn't have any blue sky today although it was warm. Do the Albanians run the restaurants as Albanian or do they just own the buildings? Albanian food as I experienced it was not very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They rent the buildings from the council and the restaurants are Italian themed. I believe they are run for investors... possibly Albanian investors... They probably accept Bitcoin, but I am not sure...

      Delete
  4. Does the sun shine much on the streets? Other than at high noon? It seems sad to see it only half down the buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there are usually two sides to the streets, so there is always some shadow unless the street is aligned to the sun at one end.

      Delete
    2. Also the sun was low - about 5.00pm.

      Delete

  5. Corruption in Bath? I always found the market in the Guildhall dark, does it still exist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Guildhall Market is still going as it has been for a few hundred years.

      Delete
  6. I love Bath .... our son sang in Bath Abbey when he was a teenager. Our daughter lives in Stamford ... a complete town of beautiful Georgian buildings. Have you been to any of the Albanian owned restaurants ? XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only heard of Stamford since a bloke on Instagram has been pushing it for a while. I feel like I know it quite well now but have never been there. It is a good looking town. I haven't knowingly been to any Albanian restaurants. The Turkish seem to have a similar influence in a nearby area and the Chinese in others. Oh, and Bangladeshis too.

      Delete