Saturday 13 April 2024

Long hot Summer?

A lovely Spring day at last. Earlier, the unmistakable roar of a military jet so high that it is invisible even in a clear sky. Either that or I was looking for the speck in the wrong place. I would bet that they are limbering up for Iran's inevitable reaction to Netanyahu's latest attempt to make Israel a safe place.

Whatever happens in the Middle East we will be right behind the USA, because they are the only meaningful allies we have left after Brexit. A food delivery convoy was shot-up by the IDF again a couple of days ago. Amazingly, nobody was injured but a British UNICEF worker was left with three bullet holes in the side of her car and the convoy had to turn back because the incident made them miss their allotted slot.

There was a huge riot in London a few days ago which was not reported by the BBC. In this case I can understand why they did not report it. The rioting season in the UK has been postponed by months of cold wind and rain, but when they begin they attract people who will travel from afar just to have a good fight in someone else's neighbourhood. The media can show rare moments of responsibility by not publicising civil unrest unless it has gone completely out of control.

We don't hear much about the massive anti-Netanyahu demonstrations in Israel either. Even the group calling for the release of the hostages has joined them. Whatever you think about Hamas or the atrocities committed in its name on October 7th, it is very difficult for any outsider to believe that Netanyahu has acted in the interests of his own country. At first it seemed unlikely that one individual could order such destruction simply to save himself, but as it all escalates out of control it is not so unbelievable. The situation has taken on a life of its own and will continue with or without him.

14 comments:

  1. The jets from RAF Marham have been busy overhead here too even in the low cloud days when all you could hear was jets going round and round and see people on the ground looking upwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time they are saving fuel by staying on the ground...

      Delete
    2. We have lots of the freighters coming and going here, the Charlies...but of late a few fighter jets and ones that look like ordinary planes..but being grey are not

      Delete
  2. All rather frightening and so very, very sad. Why we have to hang onto the coat tails of America is of course a historic decision - our big brother.
    I remember listening to the war planes going out to Iraq one night to bomb. They must have left from Fairford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obama said that if we left Europe we would be the last in the queue for trade deals...

      Delete
  3. My sources today state: US expects an attack by Iran against Israel but Washington does not expect to be drawn into war. US is on high alert but that is as far as it goes. US ships are in the area. Planes are dispatched. BN has increased the breadth of war for all of Israel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure we could stay out of the 'iron clad' defence of Israel if Iran began chucking missiles at them.

      Delete
  4. I'm afraid that I'm looking for laughter in my life so, apart from just checking the news headlines, I like your Instagram post 🤭 XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instagram is for pictures. I use words here when I can't keep them in. Sorry Jack@.

      Delete
    2. Please don't be sorry Tom ..... I was just explaining why I don't make comments about wars etc. I just find it too miserable !!! I still read your posts but I don't want to get ' into it ' as it's just too depressing for me. ♥♥♥♥

      Delete
  5. As of this moment, karma seems to be seeking out Netanyahu. Iranian missiles, at any rate. Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been simmering away for years. I hope it doesn't boil over.

      Delete
  6. One day headline news the next just a snippet at the end. I mostly listen on 231 . I don't expect a day goes by when some doesn't die in Gaza.

    ReplyDelete