Wednesday 28 February 2024

Party people


For the past month or more I have been waiting for someone to turn some stone which is too large for my little lathe, and after the last couple of posts I really want to use some light-hearted words - too many for Instagram users to tolerate.

In effect, I have not worked since before Christmas because the client's agent took a couple of months to confirm the order and thereby broke the flow. At last it seems I have fulfilled a life-long ambition to take an entire winter off. I kid myself I deserve it.

H.I. has turned me on to a couple of things on TV which I never imagined I would enjoy (if 'enjoy' is the right word) - football and Milan Street Fashion. We all know what football looks like, but let me tell you about the Milan street fashion videos.

Basically, someone sets themself up with a camera in the area of Milan where all the shops are big-name, chic fashion outlets and simply films people passing by in the streets. There is usually some ambient music playing and occasionally the video will go into slo-mo, concentrating on one particularly flamboyant man or woman, or their particularly flamboyant shoes, coat, dresses or trousers. That's it.

There are dozens of these little videos and they each last about a quarter of an hour. The first time I wandered in and found her glued to the screen, I sat down to take a look. She has been watching them for ages, but I am not normally home when she does (see above), so I didn't know what I was missing.

I found that I love them - in a mindless sort of way - and quickly realised that this is the sort of thing I have been doing every day since the first lockdown. I will park the car then sit in it for half an hour, just watching the passers-by. Almost every day recently I will sit outside a coffee shop doing the same thing. The big difference is style. I know Bath is considered reasonably trendy, but compared to Milan it is East Germany circa 1970.

There is one other little difference. Whereas H.I. concentrates on the clothes, I find myself distracted by the stonework of the buildings, manhole covers, cars, motorcycles and the shocking disregard for pedestrian crossing places.

You have to bear in mind that H.I.'s wardrobe is very extensive. That is an understatement.

9 comments:

  1. I think "Bath Street Fashion" would still have something going for it. "Filey Street Fashion" (Yorkshire seaside resort) would also be good, but would soon become repetitive with fat pensioners in joggers and trainers wandering by carrying bags of chips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes a change from Homes Under the Hammer, Antiques Roadshow, Chateau DIY, Homes in the Sun and Four in a Bed which most people seem to watch. In the days of analogue satellites in the 1980s I used to watch a fashion programme which showed endless catwalk shows from around Europe without any commentary. I lost it when satellite tv went digital, along with a lot of other stuff bounced off European satellites that I was not supposed to get but was easily picked up by those of us with a dish. I still miss it. I liked it for the fashion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The absence of commentary is one of the best things. There is always a cunt with a megaphone at most gatherings.

      Delete
  3. It reminds me of a modern version of Edward Linley Sambourne ,the photographer who did a similar thing in 1906/1907. He took street style photographs of women and the fashion they wore. I think he also took more risqué photographs but that's another story !His great grandson was the Earl of Snowdon. I also remember the fashion programme that Rachel is talking about. I think it was simply called Fashion TV ..... I used to love watching it. I must check out Milan Street Fashion. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another Linley eh? I used to like 'Holiday Town Parade'. That is where I first saw Grace Jones.

      Delete
  4. Your Winter off sound entirely pleasant. Taking a break is refreshing. I'll look at Milan Fashion videos as I had no idea they existed. I am curious about fashion in Italy and how it compares to France chic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, now I really want to see Bath fashion. A little DDR, you say? OKAY. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a little video outside our shopping centre but the slo-mo on my old camera didn't work very well. Shame.

      Delete