Saturday 22 July 2023

Cricket and strange days


I have just heard an old piece of archive radio which was commentary on a cricket match held on the green of the very English village of Tilford, Surrey.

The green is overlooked by a very English pub, The Barley Mow, and is a short distance from the ruins of the first Cistercian monastery to be built in England, Waverley Abbey.

I spent many evenings in this pub with my Norwegian girlfriend, and we even watched part of a cricket match on the green one sunny afternoon.

My friend was an au pair at a large country house nearby, and one night she snuck me into it under cover of darkness as her employers slept. A while later there was a knocking at the door and the lady of the house began shouting, Have you got someone in there with you?!

I climbed out of the window and down to the drive using the straggling - but thankfully stout -  plant covering the wall as a ladder. I spent the night in a haystack with the farmer's dog barking at me for several hours until it got bored. In the morning I held my breath as the farmer used a long pitch fork to toss out some feed for his animals and the dog continued to bark in an upwards direction. They did not discover me, despite the dog's frantic efforts to point me out.

Thursday was a very strange day here. It began with me arriving at my workshop to find the yard covered in parked cars, one of which was blocking my entrance. It was a big SUV and I saw the rear end of a woman protruding from the open back hatch with her husband standing passively by as if waiting for something. He was waiting for an ambulance.

The woman had dislocated her hip and any movement caused her to scream loudly in pain. They had called the ambulance three hours before I arrived and it still had not come. I offered them water and food but they had their own. I gave them an umbrella because the sun had moved round and the woman was overheating. Then I went to lunch and left them to waiting.

One of my colleagues told us that he had been diverted from his usual route because of a road closure, and it later transpired that the police had found a body in the woods fringing it. Half an hour went by and someone else remembered that one of our neighbours was a military doctor and may have some powerful painkillers to give the stranded woman, so he went off to find him.

They decided to put the woman right inside the car in case her husband would be forced to take her to hospital for want of an ambulance. This involved 15 minutes of screaming, so I guess the doctor had no morphine. I never found out if the ambulance arrived after four and a half hours, because I drove off to the Morrisons supermarket in town. 

I was turned away from Morrisons by a girl who explained that there had been 'an incident' and the store was closed. I later found out that a man inside had begun shouting 'I need help' whilst threatening people with a knife which he then used to slash both his wrists. Police and a helicopter ambulance arrived a lot sooner than the one which the dislocated hip woman needed.

So if you are still reading, I can tell you that I went to a different supermarket to get my shopping. I parked up and was just about to get a trolley when the fire alarm went off and the building was evacuated. I was forced to go to Waitrose.

If you got to the end of this I applaud you...

35 comments:

  1. That's life for you! I also had to wait for hours for an ambulance for my fractured ankle, so I pity the poor woman in pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the triage must include 'going to die in 10 minutes' to get an ambulance in under 4 hours these days.

      Delete
  2. All happening in Bath. I was in Waitrose when a girl attempted suicide three or four years ago. They closed off one aisle where she did "it". I asked why I couldn't go up there and a member of staff explained. There were a lot a police standing around but it was business as usual. Around here it is quicker to take yourself to hospital than wait for an ambulance and that is what people do. I am not sure what happens when you get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you manage to get an ambulance I think you have to wait another 4 hours (at least) inside it to be seen and treated. This means that all the ambulances are tied up in queues as waiting rooms, which explains their shortage on the road. A bit of a vicious circle.

      Delete
    2. And there has been a consultants strike for the last 2 days.

      Delete
    3. Not in Scotland or Wales...

      Delete
  3. I did get to the end- but mainly because the house in which I am dogsitting their Sky tv signal is out and I am resorting to the radio. Missing Live TdF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tour de France. You know bicycles, racing, yellow jumpers and three weeks of viewing France.

      Delete
    2. Potty, sending sympathy..we don't have sky either...watching it on ITV4

      Delete
  4. Yes, I got to the end. Drama seems to follow you or you follow drama. I am not sure which is correct. People must die with the ambulance unavailability.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Something was in the air. Cars were crashing in Bath that day too.

      Delete
  6. You live in an exciting part of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is more excitement than I could cope with in one day. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely place Tilford, had a few drinks and a meal in the Barley Mow, haven't managed to coincide it with a cricket match on the green though. Think it's the Whitewater that flows under the bridge there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was the Wey but my partner, who lives in Surrey, said it was the Whitewater, so I checked it out and you are correct - it is the Wey.

      Delete
    2. That river ran through my life for 21 years.

      Delete
  9. Too much adventure for one day. And Waitrose......

    ReplyDelete
  10. I applaud YOU for getting through that day!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is a lot to be said in favour of boring days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Chinese curse: May you live in interesting times.

      Delete
  12. The poor woman deserved better. What a shitty state the UK is in. I wonder if she votes conservative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't ask her. Didn't seem the right time.

      Delete
  13. Might have been a good day to stay in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My God. I felt like I was a disaster magnet when we had an escaped killer on the lam for 9 days. I went to my son's house and they had flash flooding and had to do a water rescue in what had been a field behind their house. On the way there, my car began to make a strange noise. You have certainly outdone me.

    *removes my crown and hands it to Tom*

    ReplyDelete