Saturday 20 May 2023

A tarragon hunt

 

I have only been using the new iMac for emails and watching films in the evening, but much has happened in the week since I last posted.

All the Ash trees out at the workshop are dying. I wonder if the one above will survive another winter. I still miss the great Elms which used to luxuriate in the middle of fields not that long ago. Strange to think that Elm was the prime material for floorboards when Georgian Bath was built. Floorboards 20 inches wide were common, but now irreplaceable.

I was overjoyed when Jacob Rees-Mogg publicly stated that the Party shot itself in the foot by introducing voter photographic ID, believing that the disaffected youth would be the ones most likely to be turned away from the polling stations, whereas the true-blue Tory elderly are usually the section of the electorate without photographic evidence of themselves on anything other than bus passes, and are likely to have misplaced their passports. All of his fellow MPs have been lying about the motive as usual, despite there having been just one case of fraud in the last election, so it is refreshing to hear an admission like this from a high-ranker for a change.

A family of robins have fledged from a precarious nest over my head in the workshop and the place seems a bit empty without them. At least the weather has improved so that I can work outside again. It has been cold and wet since last Autumn.

I am soon to be working for a famous pop star on a shell canopy (if you know what that is) over the front door of his Jacobean (in parts) house. I have always wanted to make one from scratch, but have never been asked.

Today I will head out into the wonderful sunshine on the hunt for fresh tarragon. I need it for a roast chicken but there seems to have been a shortage recently. I don't think it is a seasonal thing, because it is grown all over the place. I will forget Waitrose - which is falling apart anyway - and head for M&S, which is having a bit of a revival - in the food department, anyway.

25 comments:

  1. You will have to grow your own herbs on the windowsill as a backup. We use dried tarragon in our chicken dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our little window trough is reserved for Night-Scented Stock and there is no substitute for fresh tarragon.

      Delete
  2. Oh golly, gosh, a shell canopy sounds difficult to me. How to begin I wouldn't know and how do you get it up there when it's finished or do you do it in situ and what about weight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult. You have to know how to end too. You hire a gorilla to get it up.

      Delete
  3. And here's me imagining you capering about the hedge bottoms searching for fresh tarragon! Oh and to add to Rachel's questions above - what is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you find tarragon under hedgerows? I will put up a photo of it soon, but now I have to cook - using the fresh tarragon I just bought. I think Rachel understands more than she says she does.

      Delete
    2. A woman's prerogative Tom as I am sure you know being the 'man about town' I am sure you are.

      Delete
    3. What man about town does all the cooking?

      Delete
  4. It is sad to see massive trees taken by disease. Our Elms are gone too.
    What disease is attacking your Ash trees? I have a Mountain Ash and it is in flower now as it should be. The shell canopy (in stone?) sounds glorious. Lately, I am watching "Grand Designs," a British TV program about unique home builds. The genius use of stone, steel, cement and wood in some of the most beautiful (complex) locations is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think ash die-back is an insect - or it could be a fungus, or it could be a virus. I am obviously not sure... Yes, it is in stone. I have never watched Grand Designs. Is it good?

      Delete
    2. Ash trees in the US are being killed by an invasive non-native insect, the emerald ash borer. According to the Woodland Trust, ash trees in the UK are being killed by a fungus, ash dieback fungus (Hymenoscyphus fraxineus). Both the emerald ash borer insect and the ash dieback fungus originated in Asia and were accidently introduced to the US & UK.
      Do take photos of the shell canopy and share.
      Have a peaceful & relaxing weekend.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the info and you have a good weekend too.

      Delete
    4. The British program, "Grand Designs" is outstanding. The program features many contemporary builds on tiny city lots building up 3-4 floors as well as larger lots with countryside views. Some construction is conversion/extension of existing homes, barns/out buildings, churches and water towers. One couple bought a small home on the Thames, tore down the home and constructed a contemporary 3 floor home with views of the river. They had to build a waterproof box in which to build the basement and then add the upper floors. It was an engineering marvel.

      Delete
  5. It is quite something to find the most elitist of elitist tossers that run our country admit to the fact that their gerrymandering backfired. I'm not sure "refreshing" is quite how I feel about it. "Serves the buggers right" would be more like it. Shadenfreude perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone knew what it was all about so it is one of their own - one of the worst - opening his gob that I found refreshing. Also, the more he is disliked by his contemporaries the better it gets. They are so out of touch with reality that they think they can survive all this bullshit. The depressing thing is that they could well survive it. I predict that Trump will get in for a second go, and I was right the first time. Don't underestimate him or the vindictiveness of his supporters.

      Delete
    2. The thing that really worries me is that somehow the opposition parties will mess up the opportunity to win the election, the public will believe the promises made by the Tories and vote again for more of the same.

      Delete
    3. (I was undecided whether to say "believe the promises" or "forget the broken promises". How many new hospitals have you seen going up lately?)

      Delete
  6. If Trump is elected for a second term, our republic is doomed. However, I don't think he will run again, or be elected if he does run.
    I am understanding that the canopy is installed piece by piece, as it is built. Or after a fair amount has been constructed, installation begins and it can be fine tuned, so to speak, as construction progresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose he might not get the funding to run again. One good thing (sometimes) about American elections is the funding - or lack of - deciding outcomes.

      Delete
  7. There are two genetic strains of Ash in Britain, one is susceptible to Ash dieback and apparently the other isn't...so there is hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I heard that, but the recovery won't be in my lifetime.

      Delete
  8. How bright things look from your corner of the world. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tarragon in pots is not easy to get here (only parsley, mint and basil).
    Dying trees: so depressing. In front of my kitchen window three beautiful oaks, the fourth is wimpily producing a few leaves - and I think of Robin Hood's old oak, the Major Oak in Sherwood Forest, which we saw when son was abut six years old.
    Interesting: your word "canopy" (which I had to look up) I met here a second time the same day: the Major oak has "a canopy of 92 feet (28 metres), and is about 800–1,000 years old." Ha - that's the way to learn vocabulary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure that 'canopy' is the right word for it, but that is what I have always called them.

      Delete