Friday 3 June 2022

The White Elephant


Talking of village fêtes, I remember that in the wealthy area of Surrey where I was brought up, every Summer there was one held in the grounds of a large house in aid of the Conservative party which my parents would help out with.

This was great, because they ran the stall called the 'White Elephant'. Apparently this name came from the days of the Raj in India, when white elephants were considered unwanted gifts which the recipient had to get rid of. The class of junk on these stalls was amazing and I always had the first pick before the fête opened.

I remember African spears, huge brass gongs, hunting trophies, fishing rods, and all sorts of things which had been collected in the days of Empire by wealthy travellers and then stored in attics for a generation or two before ending up on my parents' stall.

I once acquired a Victorian electric hairbrush which came in a very well-made, velvet-lined mahogany box with brass fittings. The brush itself looked fairly ordinary, except that it had steel bristles and a wire coming from the handle which lead to some very steam-punk apparatus in the box that generated a high voltage current. If you turned it on and touched the bristles you got a not unpleasant shock. The idea was that electricity generated the growth of hair and conditioned the hair you already had. Who knows.

Every year I was allowed one item from the stall, and choosing it was always difficult. One year it was an African cowhide drum, the next was assagais from a different part of the same continent, another year the hairbrush, but in general most of the stall was made up of relics from old colonial days.

I loved junk and still do, but junk shops are a thing of the past. During our annual two weeks spent in Brighton, I would make my way to The Lanes and spend hours wandering around the cluttered little shops trying to find treasures which I could afford. I came home with an ox bone once which I had bought on the understanding that it was from a dinosaur, but my aunt and uncle told me I could have saved my half crown by visiting the local abattoir.  

To this day, I am intrigued by the thought that - somewhere near me - there is a cellar or attic which has not been visited for years which is full of this stuff.

12 comments:

  1. I like sales like this too. They have disappeared entirely. Occasionally, one of the Concord, MA antique shops clears out a home and has nice pieces but nothing like the Victorian electric hairbrush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of Concord. Apparently, after the Civil War, people went about with banners saying 'Concord' as a peace gesture, but the defeated South thought it meant 'Conquered' and started another riot.

      Delete
  2. I used to like junk shops too. Charity shops just aren't the same. I like fishing around the miscellaneous boxes of sundries at auction rooms and buying, it is pot luck as to what you are going to get. I haven't done that for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charity shops are dismal these days. I use to go to auctions for antique glass, but then everyone cottoned on to it all.

      Delete
  3. Car boot sales are my passion. I have found antiques, oil and water colour paintings and they great places for cheap tools...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would go to more car boots, but I don't like getting up early at weekends.

      Delete
  4. My passion was finding antiquarian books in old farm houses of New Hampshire jam packed with cheap old books. I can easily find rare out of print books at online used book sites. I enjoyed the search more than the old books I bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. It is like fishing or mushroom hunting. The search is the best bit - the anticipation and excitement when you do spot something is a bonus.

      Delete
  5. Oh dear Tom - good job we are not married. I hate 'stuff' and never allow it to accumulate (often throwing out stuff I later need). I had an absolute beanfeast when I moved here and you can count on one hand the things in my loft once the suitcases are removed,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My head is reeling from the very idea of us being married, Weave - clutter or no clutter.

      Delete
  6. I once bought a calendar at the white elephant stall at a church bazaar. It was put in a tube for me and when I got home I found there were four original watercolours (quite good) from the late 1800´s in the tube also. This was about 65 years ago and I still have them hanging on my wall.

    ReplyDelete