Saturday 4 June 2022

Edith and me


I quite often use audio books to send me back to sleep in the middle of the night, and recently I have been listening to E. Nesbit's 'The Railway Children'. I came to the end of it this morning and thought I would look her up. This is Edith. What an extraordinarily good looking woman she was. I was quite surprised.

I had just finished writing the above paragraph and was looking into her eyes again when I made the embarrassing realisation that she reminds me of myself when I was about 20. In the few photographs that exist of me taken at that time, I too stare vacantly and insolently into the lens. I almost feel ashamed to admit that I seem to have fallen for my younger self - like Narcissus.

Ok, while we are making confessions I will tell you that I have always found certain masculine-looking women attractive. You can make of that what you will, but don't run away with the idea that I fancy men, and don't begin to think that I protesteth too much otherwise you may lose our valuable friendship.

The Railway Children is not a book which I would choose to read whilst conscious - even though I do enjoy a lot of children's literature - but it is predictable and safe with good doses of jolly hockey sticks and steam. Just right for the job.

I think I might have told you that, when I was about 20, I spent an entire year not looking at myself in a mirror, just to see if it were possible. It ended one night when I was on a bus and confronted with my own reflection in the glass panel in front of me. It was dark outside so there was nowhere else to look. On that journey I managed to break the spell with the minimum of fuss.

26 comments:

  1. maybe it the direct gaze you are attracted by. There is a confidence about it . I always thought that the Countess of Rothes was beautiful , she took the tiller in a lifeboat from the Titanic and was greatly admired by the stokers who took over the oars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just looked up the countess and I have to say that she doesn't row my boat. I am not saying I wouldn't mind her hand on my tiller, mind you.

      Delete
    2. Donned in a white glove no doubt

      Delete
  2. A vacant stare is a poker face; someone determined to not show true emotion or sometimes a deep sadness. I'm no psych expert but this is my impression. There is something very attractive about strong (feminine and masculine) people...no games required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I meant absorbed, rather than vacant. I know what you mean about no games.

      Delete
  3. I just read about E Nesbit on the back of this post. What an incredible life she led, I will try to find a copy of a biography of which there are two although it seems they are both out of print. I am surprised she has never crossed my radar before apart from the Railway Children which I read at school long before the film, it being recommended reading.
    I see what you mean about her looks, I can remember a photo of you where I recall you look to me like Peter Frampton, staring out into the camera lens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to hearing her ghost stories - maybe tonight. Peter Frampton? Please, no...

      Delete
  4. I have to say that, when I saw the photograph, I thought it was your Mother as I thought she looked very much like you and that was before I read your text ! I love The Railway Children ..... when she says " My Daddy " when he gets off the train always makes me cry. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In real life, of course, he would never have been released.

      Delete
  5. I remember reading the book as a child. It will be interesting to read it again today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a copy of that book as a child and remember it very well. It's in the public domain (I think) and can be downloaded and read for free. Maybe I'll revisit it this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always aware of the title but it never appealed to me until late age.

      Delete
  7. She is buried quite near here at the church of St. Mary-in-the-Marsh. Her "tombstone" is an oaken board supported at each end by oak standards. She had said she did not want a stone to mark her grave, so her second husband (her first was a beast), a retired sea captain, made it for her in wood. It survived until quite recent times when it was replaced with a replica. The original is kept in the church.

    That second marriage was close to idyllic - she deserved it after the horrible first husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I saw a photo of her oak memorial and thought it had survived well for wood, now I know why. I would not mind living in the East. It still has a fascination for me, probably because of its association with London and Doggerland. There is a lot of stuff under those marshes.

      Delete
  8. Your post sent me looking up Jenny Agutter. If there is an English rose she is one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She began by walking about the Australian Outback naked, and now she runs a convent in East London. Funny how life works out.

      Delete
    2. Don’t forget her naked stint with a Werewolf

      Delete
  9. I have not read the book but like lal my generation remember the film. There are lost of female androgynous looking icons: Annie Lenox, Kristen Stewart (wow!) Grace Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace Jones is just a tad too scary for me, although she is no more scary than some of my old girlfriends were and I survived them.

      Delete
  10. That last paragraph makes me question thimgs Tom - trouble is \I don;t know what I am questioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All it means is that I spent one year not looking at my reflection, Weave.

      Delete
  11. I never read the book until I read it to my grandchildren. Never saw the movie; thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never read Little House on the Prairie to this day. The other day someone said that the difference between that and The Railway Children was that nothing ever works out for the family in The Little House.

      Delete