Friday 19 November 2021

Snow next week


I was once immune (as far as that is possible) to the massive, annual, all-encompassing, week-long road-block of Christmas, but ever since the arrival of the first grandchildren there is no escaping it. I try to enjoy it.

Do the cons outweigh the pros? No matter when a job began or at what stage it is at by December 23rd, everyone wants it done and dusted so they can fully concentrate on the three-day protracted argument with unwelcome guests and relatives to the background soundtrack of Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Wham! and screaming children. Is it just us Brits?

This year there is the looming milestone of the Portland Stone Fireplace for H.I.'s daughter. It has been made even more ominous by being 9 years late in the making. I have been told that if it is not up against the wall and covered in cards in time for the big event, I will not be allowed over the threshold - possibly ever again.

Today is going to be fun. Remember when that lying bastard smashed into my car in the Summer and told the insurance company that it was me who smashed into him? Well in doing so he removed a side indicator light on the old car using disproportionate force and I decided to buy a new pair on eBay the other day. 

They arrived the day before yesterday and are completely unusable, despite assurances that they would fit any Volvo V70. I am in the process of returning them, hopefully not all the way back to China.

So today I will drive to the scene of the crime, park badly and put my hazard lights on, don a Hi-Viz jacket and wander around in the fast-moving traffic to see if I can find the original in amongst all the crisp packets, cigarette boxes, Lucozade bottles and whatever else has been thrown out of car windows in the intervening months.

Am I mad?

21 comments:

  1. Yes in answer to your last question - sod's law dictates that that will be an area where a group of local vigilantes will have regular tidy ups to keep the place pristine. Bet you a dry martini if I ever get down to bath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember anyone bashing into your car in the Summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I didn't care to talk about it, but I thought I had.

      Delete
  3. "Is it just us Brits?" No - the Germans too.
    Good luck with the sight indicator light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Germans are a little less obsessed with Christmas. I blame Dickens.

      Delete
  4. Good luck!
    You'd be more likely to source replacements through an owners club, if there is one.....

    Hope the fireplace gets done on time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you mad? Maybe not, maybe brave and thinking original thoughts. Maybe that’s why your posts are entertaining and thought-provoking most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot remember the last original thought I had, Yael, but thanks for saying so.

      Delete
  6. I don't envy you that task. Yuk.
    You just need to complain to get your money refunded, Ebay is biased towards the buyer nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will get a return, but it is boring to have to.

      Delete
  7. Not been my experience, not with the last two Chinese businesses I dealt with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two out of several million is no odds worth factoring in.

      Delete
  8. Are you mad? I couldn't possibly say. But I know the state of the roads in Bath so I'm hopeful that you'll find your indicator light.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't worry Tom - I am never likely to get down your way so the drink is purely metaphorical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to buy you a drink Weave. Let's hope I get the opportunity!

      Delete
  10. Christmas is going to be joyous! Deck the halls. The more celebration, the better... Ready or not, here it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to reply to your comment, Thelma, now here because you have replied to an Indonesian scammer which I am just about to delete. I may delete your comment in the process. No, there is no Christmas market this year. They pulled it at the last moment through fear of Covid. It does get pretty packed in the square, so I sort of don't blame them, but a lot of people have lost a lot of money.

    ReplyDelete