Saturday 30 October 2021

Yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death...


I loved Halloween when I was a kid - not the American version (which may have been the modern original) but the one involving spirits and poltergeists rather than chainsaws, axes and blood.

Our house had a stone-built wine cellar, and for a couple of years a friend would come round (a rare thing) and we would eat baked beans on toast by candle light down there, blissfully untroubled by the absence of wine. My parents were not big drinkers.

Being the youngest of four by up to ten years, I spent a lot of time on my own in the huge house and I embraced anything fantastical which could provide an escape from drab reality. I still do. If Harry Potter could have been filmed in the late 1950s I would have been transported to a place from which I would probably have never returned. I would be writing this (or something like it) from some sort of institution for the chronically insane.

The fascination/obsession continued into my early 20s. I had a sideline at college whereby I would persuade  a car-owner (also a rare thing in my circle of young friends) to take me to ruined abbeys in the middle of the night to look for black magic rituals. One night we found one.

It was at a place called Newark Priory, near the Surrey town of Woking. We discreetly parked-up and wandered into the dark fields which surround it then took shelter from the moonlight in the darker shade of a large oak tree. We could see flickering lights through the gaping windows and we knew that something was going on.

Both I and my companion were wearing full-length capes with large hoods - hers a woollen fashion item and mine an ex US Army waterproof one from the 1960s. We kept the hoods up.

As our eyes became accustomed to the gloom we noticed one or two people who had obviously been posted on the fringes of the field to look out for unwanted visitors. Black magic was still illegal in those days and the police sometimes raided parties and prosecuted Satanists. People still took Christianity seriously then.

After a while a figure which we had not spotted before began to move closer to us. Their path would inevitably take them right under the tree where we were skulking and we knew we would soon be discovered. My friend took hold of my hand and squeezed it so hard and long that the blood drained from it and it began to lose all feeling. I whispered to her to remain calm, silent and let me do the talking.

A second or so before the man became aware of two tall, cloaked and hooded figures silently standing a few feet away from him, I said "Good evening" in as deep a voice as I could muster.

The man jumped about a foot into the air, mumbled a response and hurriedly made his way toward the ruined priory. A few minutes later we heard car engines being started and the congregation had scattered.

We walked the couple of hundred yards to the ruin and discovered a lit fire with lit back candles in a circle and a severed pig's head in the middle.

What made the whole thing so sordid and silly was the man's shock at being discovered by beings which had been summoned from the dark side by his mates in the priory. He was more scared than we were. He must have thought we were the real thing - something which he had never really believed in up until that point.

24 comments:

  1. The John Lennon version of the missing lines in the title were, '... I fear no evil - because I am the most evil bastard in the valley'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its' that time of the year, I have been hunting out the ghost stories of M.R. James which I read as a child. Ruined abbeys at night are scary but no wonder the Victorians loved the ivy clad ruins, often with moping owls....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MR James was one of my childhood reads too. He's good. This story is more Dennis Wheatley than James. Wheatley was not a nice man. Sexist, racist and elitist.

      Delete
  3. Um. People have such odd ideas about America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to remember that we have been following America with all its traits and preferences for many, many years now. What odd ideas do you think I have?

      Delete
  4. How we celebrate Hallowe'en where I live in America: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=4696250143731206&set=pcb.2045452512279171

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to look at your Facebook pages, but it wanted to allow the use of cookies on my machine, so I did not open it. I have enough cookies already, and I don't want to let Facebook in anymore than I would invite Dracula in. You will have to explain in another way. Oh, and btw, I was talking about the adult celebration of Halloween, not trick or treating.

      Delete
  5. I should rent my cats out on Halloween night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Throw in yourself and the cottage and you would be quids in.

      Delete
  6. Although my birthday is on Hallowe'en I never remember associating the two things when I was a child. I don't think we 'celebrated' Hallowe'en in those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither did we really. Not many Brits did. Thanks for reminding me that Hallowe'en has an apostrophe.

      Delete
    2. I had forgotten the apostrophe too!
      The only thing I remember of the Hallowe'ens of my childhood are the kids parties with disgusting "spooky" sandwiches the adults dreamed up to get their own back on their horrible kids once year (banana and fish paste was a favourite) and the daft games such as apple bobbing. I dreaded all of it.

      Delete
  7. Loved this , I think I read it before years ago here but I love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably did. I am running out of true stories. I will have to start making them up.

      Delete
  8. It seems you and your friend discovered a seance underway. Occult is popular in some circles in the US. Spirits, fairies, UFO's and vampires all have their own followers...something for every preference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a seance. We knew what seances were - we held them ourselves, but that's another story.

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry you did not continue to open the link Lynne Marie gave. It's a lovely photo of a lake, surrounded by beautiful fall foliage, supporting half a dozen floating devices with pilots dressed as witches.
    In my childhood, Hallowe'en was the children's holiday, wearing costumes and going trick or treating for candy, through the neighborhood. Currently it is adult party night, second only to Christmas for spending on costumes and parties. Though Covid may have dampened it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds nice. Maybe the chainsaws and blood thing is just British, then. Covid hasn't dampened the young adults' parties here. There is a fancy dress shop here which was so packed yesterday that they had people queuing outside.

      Delete
  10. Great story, Tom.

    I immediately thought of Dennis Wheatley's "Devil Rides Out" reading it.
    I too like MR James. His "Casting the Runes" has always given me the willies. ("I put my hand under the pillow and encountered what seemed to be a hairy mouth, with teeth in it")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Whistle and I'll come to you'... 'The Monkey's Paw'... Were they M R James? I like the psychological aspect over the horror and gore ones. Dennis Wheatley caught the atmosphere of the early 60s and I think a lot of people just copied what he made up.

      Delete
  11. That's hilarious. Bunch of tosspots. I'm glad you gave them a real scare!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's hilarious! (and how did I miss that wonderful story!)

    ReplyDelete