Saturday 17 July 2021

Show us your snaps


It has reached the time of Summer when the urban gulls are at their worst. If I didn't tell you about the recent flood caused by all the gull rubbish on our roof, it was probably a symptom of PTSD caused by the event. If I did tell you, my forgetting that I had is probably another symptom. I want to drive urban gulls from my mind, but this is impossible. The racket is incessant and so loud that we have to turn up the volume on the radio.

I was looking at a photo of a beautiful resort on a Spanish island the other day, and for the first time in 2 years I had the desire to go to a place like that again. Then I remembered how much I hate airports. If airports were bad 2 years ago, just think what they are like now.

We used to go abroad just to lie on beaches and soak up the sun. Then, about 25 or 30 years ago, we opted for city or town holidays with the odd visit to the ocean. Madrid was one such city which sticks in my memory, and the highlight was spending 2 hours just sitting and staring at Velasquez's  vast Las Meninas painting - something I had never done before at any painting with such rapt concentration. There is no doubt in my mind that it is the greatest painting ever made, for a whole variety of reasons. It has everything.

The most boring holiday we ever took was down in the Algarve. We hired a car and drove Westward right down the coast, looking for any town which might be better than the last, but each one was slightly worse. Only on the last day did we discover a delightful little place with a perfect and inexpensive beachside hotel which had lanterns hanging in the trees at night, but it was too late to stay there. If I went back to Portugal now it would be Porto. 

The absolute worst holiday was in Bodrum, Turkey. I will not go on about it for fear of sparking off another episode of PTSD, but suffice to say that our fellow Brits at the large hotel complex behaved in exactly the same way as they do in this country during the lifting of lockdown drinking restrictions, when they are not allowed to get off to Bodrum and out of our way. Think football hooligans. 

I was always amazed at my clients' reaction to my warning them that I would not be working on their project for a couple of weeks, due to a pre-booked holiday. The job could be going very badly, very slowly - or both - and they could be calling me every day to try and get it finished, but as soon as I told them I was off on holiday, they would drop the hostility and wish me a wonderful and relaxing break saying, "Have a good time and see you in a couple of weeks!" I was always astounded at this reaction.

What is the best holiday you have ever had and why?

25 comments:

  1. I'm currently blogging about Iceland which was pretty good, although some other very different holidays were great too. Don't know about the worst - you could spend a long time in the car in Norway in the seventies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I saw that but I have yet to get round to reading it. I will. I once drove up into Denmark, and saw about 2 cars in 50 miles.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed my trip to St Petersburg with Charly because everything was brilliant and we were on the same wavelength all the way, drinking, things we saw and things we did and the woman we stayed with. It would be difficult to repeat it, probably impossible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't really plan or predict for when things turn out so well.

      Delete
  3. Greece! Aside from the severe headache due to vehicle exhaust in the city, having been an art history student - I was moved to tears in both Athens and Delphi. So emotional to see what I'd studied in the flesh. The other exceptionally exquisite incident was in a tiny mountaintop village. My husband was taught how to prepare Greek bread by the widow who cooked our meals. It was Fall and one late day we were outdoors enjoying a cocktail before dinner when we could hear bells. The sound became louder. We learned that flocks of sheep were being brought down from the mountain for the coming winter. They would be taken in by people along the winding road to be cared for. We watched the sheep going further down the mountain on the s-curves like a ribbon gently unfurling....all the while hearing the bells becoming more and more silent. Truly magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first plane ride was to Athens, on my way to Egypt. I spent one frosty night there after I climbed the hill to the Acropolis and slept on a large stone near the path. That was nice.

      Delete
  4. I’m wanting to travel more than I ever did
    I can’t go back to the isolation I felt in lockdown
    I want more

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1976, we took all of mom's grandchildren and a couple more friend's children on the great Bi-centennial tour. The children (and the adults) saw Lexington, Philadelphia, the Liberty Bell, Lexington, Concord Massachusetts, the shot heard round the world, Liberty Hall, where the Declaration of Independence was signed. Boston, the tea party. We did other themed vacations, but that was the first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's good to have a plan and itinerary, especially when it all goes well.

      Delete
  6. This is hard to choose just one holiday. Sailing in the Caribbean and island hopping. Time spent in Paris and my visits to the Louvre. Time in the UK (England and Scotland) seeing much loved family, visiting museums, high tea in London, theater performances, the pubs...My UK visits never disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my holidays tend to blend in with each other too.

      Delete
  7. Hiking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That looks like an amazing place. To think it was undiscovered for years.

      Delete
  8. Had to look up PTSD.
    Am just back from the Netherlands to Berlin and the airports weren't that bad (Schiphol - and BER = the laughing-stock of the world, I saw it for the first time and wondered where all the money went - it is really ugly.)
    Now I arrived in Bavaria - and will enjoy nature and family. Might think later about my best holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely loathe Schiphol. My two favourite airports are Bremen and Denver.

      Delete
  9. Here, two weeks in the winter on the Isle of Lewis.
    Elsewhere, in NZ...but it doesn't feel like a holiday when you go for 4 to 6 months.
    We always avoid tourist traps wherever, rather see the real place and real people

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been to Lewis or any other Scottish island. I really would like to though.

      Delete
    2. Do when you can. It's worth it

      Delete
  10. Just a thought...so many art galleries now you are expected to shuffle ...or even walk...through, not stopping to really study anything. It makes it not worth going in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I refuse to be herded. Never take a guided tour or use headphones is the answer.

      Delete
    2. My experience of the Tate Mod, the National and the Barbican has been wonderful during Covid restrictions, no herding, no crowds, just great views of works on display and left alone. I consider it one of the few upsides of Covid measures.

      Delete
    3. Yes. I have also enjoyed table service at pubs too. No more shouting 'TWO PINTS OF LAGER AND A PACKET OF CRISPS - PLEASE!'

      Delete
  11. Hurtigruten from Bergen to Kirkenes on the Russian border with

    a trip across to Lofoten thrown in. Perfect especially seafood.

    Or Irkutsk to Khabarovsk on the Trans siberian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of you in a huge fur collar, with Omar Sharif on your arm...

      Delete