Sunday 29 November 2020

Botticelli... Botticelli...


I'm going to tell you another story.

I seemed to spend a lot of my youthful years hanging about with aristocrats. In the late 1970s I had a girlfriend whose Russian mother was the daughter of a handmaiden to the last Tsarina of White Russia, and whose father was an Irish aristocrat from a military family who were ennobled after gallantry at the siege of Lucknow. 

Her uncle was the British ambassador to Moscow at the outbreak of WW2, and because of his Russian connections, the large family seat on the outskirts of Bath became an approved safe-house for Soviet visitors when in the area. The Soviets would only arrive in pairs and had to phone in to the Soviet embassy at least three times a day to prove that they had not defected.

I had lunch (not dinner) at the house one hot Summer day, and the guests consisted of two 50 year-old  Soviet Russian women who looked like characters from a Giles cartoon of the 1960s, the Russian mother, the father, the daughter, me and a Turkish princess called Elsa.

Conversation throughout the meal was entirely in Russian, because the only English word that the two women knew was 'makeup' and they both fell into a sort of wistful reverie as they repeated it over and over to themselves when they heard it in a rare exchange in English between me and the Turkish princess.

They knew a word in Italian though, and it was 'Botticelli' . The more wine they drank, the more they began to stare at me with lascivious smiles on their large, unmade-up faces. At that time I had long, dark hair which fell in ringlets over my forehead, and I seemed to remind them of a character from the Italian painter's repertoire of youths. They would have another pull on their red wine, look at each other briefly, turn to look at me, then murmur Botticelli... to each other in agreement.

Lunch came to a natural end when (and I am not making this up) the eccentric father fell face down into his empty dinner plate and began snoring very loudly. The two Russian women said that they would retire to their room for a siesta, and the surreal party broke up.

I was doing some work to the gutters of the big old house, so I went back out into the courtyard and climbed a very tall ladder to carry on whilst the rest of the party slept it off.

High up in the eaves of the house, I became aware of some movement in the corner of my vision. I turned slightly to see the two Russian women standing side by side at an upper window, dressed only in extremely robust brassieres and Soviet issue underpants, waving at me coyly with sleepy smiles and half-closed eyes.

35 comments:

  1. Well..l sent the last post to my daughter,
    and she thought it was brilliant, so l'm
    sending this one as well..! :).

    And after ALL that Tom..you finished up a
    ladder attending to the eaves..!
    So you could say the two Russian women were
    'eaves dropping'..HeHe! Sorry!

    And Botticelli..yes, born in Florence, died
    in Florence..typical, Italian painters and
    decorators never travel to far..! :(.
    What was his famous work..Ah! Yes! 'The Birth
    of Venus'..The painting not the planet..!

    Well..off for lunch, l'm being typically
    English to~day, l bought a large chicken up at
    Lidl this morning for £1:37..not quite done yet,
    it's still trying to get out the oven..HeHe! Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. £1.37 for a large chicken? Jesus. Life is cheap. (No 'cheep' jokes please). I hope your daughter likes this one too.

      Delete
    2. The chicken was lovely..and..all the roasty
      things with it..drunk half a bottle of vino
      calapso..the other half later with my tea...
      You can't let wine lay about, it goes off so
      quick..! HeHe!

      Lidl is certainly the place to shop..pricewise..
      There was a lady in front of me..she took up the
      whole of the conveyor belt..l thought, there's £100+
      when she came to pay..£82:25..! Job done..! Mary
      Christmas..! 🎅 🎄 🎅 🎄

      Delete
  2. “ I turned slightly to see the two Russian women standing side by side at an upper window, dressed only in extremely robust brassieres and Soviet issue underpants, waving at me coyly “

    Oh lord

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can say Tom is you did see life

      Delete
    2. I am disappointed that they were only waving at you coyly. I was hoping they were gagging for it and tried to entice you through the window.

      Delete
    3. I not the past tense, Weave.

      That's what I was worried about Rachel.

      Delete
    4. And you of course smiled coyly back and averted your eyes quickly and carried on with your work n'er to look that way again for the rest of the afternoon.

      Delete
    5. I meant 'note' not not, Weave.

      Delete
    6. We are not so poor that we cannot afford our own individual comment box. It makes life so much easier.

      Delete
    7. I felt safe here with Weaver and John and it was like old times having a bit of banter on a Sunday afternoon.

      Delete
    8. Yes, of course. I like it. it's nice to have a bit of banter right at the top.

      Delete
  3. You sound like you could have had a very nice, pampered life as a gigolo (or been shot by a jealous husband)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. May I remind you of your dream three blogposts ago: "Should we laugh?" The one with "the girl as young as your daughter" by your side, in your red Ferrari?
    The Russian women were about Fifty you say? Well, well, well... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Memoirs of Tom, will you publish? It's a wonder you did not fall off that ladder. Are there more revelations to out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty more where that one came from, but not all as amusing.

      Delete
  6. How did you come to be invited to lunch? Perhaps the question is, how did you come to be repairing the gutters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The daughter was my girlfriend. If I ran out of work she would find some for me at the house. I need her now.

      Delete
  7. Trying to visualize soviet issue underpants and robust brassieres. I'm sure the movie version of your book will portray the whole thing in a much different light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't visualise..You'll find ALL you
      wish...right here...

      https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/soviet_underwear

      Delete
    2. Heavens - you can still buy it. I am looking for someone to portray young me. Any suggestions?

      Delete
    3. Leonardo di Vinci..
      Maybe not young, but he had a great CV..
      He had no real last name..
      He was an illegitimate child..
      He didn't have a formal education..
      He didn't paint that much..
      He started apprenticing at 15..
      He was fascinated by the human body..
      Bill Gates owns his notebook..

      OR...
      Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni...
      (I expect he cleaned out a few eaves in his time)..

      O.K. This one then...
      Kim Ung-Yong..
      Kim Ung-Yong—A guest physics student at age three
      Born in 1962, Kim Ung-Yong is listed as having the
      highest IQ at 210 in the Guinness Book of World
      Records..
      The young prodigy began speaking at four months old
      and merely two years later, he was able to read in
      Japanese, Korean, German and English...! :)

      Delete
    4. I wonder why he needed an interpreter for Trump then.

      Delete
  8. Ha! Was it rather your murmurings of Makeup than your ringlets that had them to conspire to seduce you? Evidently thought you would pay them with Maybelline to inspect those Soviet knickers more closely. Sounds like a scene from Gormenghast, ladder and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is Maybelline? It was not me who was murmering. You have hit the nail on the head. Even then, the whole place reminded me of Gormenghast. My girlfriend was the exact likeness of one of Peake's illustrations too.

      Delete
    2. Maybelline is a cheaper brand of makeup sold in chemists, mostly. Good to learn Gormenghast was based on reality. I suspected as much.

      Delete