Saturday 28 November 2020

Another re-telling


I was cooking dinner last night when H.I. said she was going through to the next room to re-watch an episode of The Bridge while it was cooking. I said I would bang a gong in the hall when it was ready. We laughed.

Then I remembered that my mother went through a relatively short period of banging a gong to summon us in from the huge garden for lunch, rather than uncouthly shouting out DINNER'S READY! from the terrace for our nearest neighbours to hear. My mother had aspirations toward some level of grandeur, and would certainly not have called lunch 'dinner' as most of my school friends would have done. At least she didn't call it 'luncheon'.

At school, 'dinner ladies' gave us our lunch. I love that they were affectionately called dinner ladies. There was a British band called The Dinner Ladies. 

I pronounced myself a vegetarian at one point, and the benefits were huge. My meal was prepared completely separately to everyone else's, and I did not have to join a queue of 200 carnivores to pick it up. I was the only vegetarian in a horrible Secondary Modern of about 750 other kids.

When I look back on it, I realise that I have spent most of my life - including (or especially) childhood - being a complete pain in the arse. I'm not proud of it - in fact during moments of self-doubt I am ashamed of it. Being invited to dinner at friends' houses in later years, I would tell them that I was a vegetarian after having accepted, and very often the host would say, Vegetarians are a pain in the arse. When I reverted to meat aged about 25 (me, not the meat) I understood what they meant completely, and punish any vegetarians at my table with a slab of cheddar or a hard boiled egg if they didn't bring their own nut-roast.

Is there still such a thing as the dinner party circuit? More accurately, was there before lockdown?

I loved my dinner party circuit. Nine times out of ten I would end the evening by sleeping with one of the guests. Quite a few times out of those nine it would be with the hostess herself.

On one such occasion I waited for all the other guests to leave before mutually pouncing on the hostess, and ended up having breakfast as well as dinner. When I left in the morning, she made a date for a return bout, but this time as a candle-lit dinner for two. It was set for about two weeks hence, and she waived me off in the full expectation of repeating the experience.

About two and a half weeks later I suddenly remembered the missed appointment. I was such a coward that I did not call her to apologise, but tried to forget the whole thing.

Then, about a month after that, I found myself in a gigantic hot-air balloon floating in her direction with the pilot desperately seeking a landing spot before he ran out of gas.

She lived in a vast country house and her landlord was a titled aristocrat who was also her friend. As we approached the house at low level, the pilot spotted a large paddock area and thought it would be the perfect spot to put the balloon down. I began to worry and pointed out that there were horses which were already showing signs of panicking  by running around in circles at the sight and sound of the huge thing in the sky.

The pilot was just about to gain height and search for a different place when we saw the the Viscount, the Viscountess and my hostess sitting on the terrace drinking gin and tonic. I was expecting him to shout up to tell us to eff-off and stop frightening the horses, but instead all three rose to their feet and began waving encouragement to us, pointing to the large stretch of grass at the back of the house and making downward movements with outstretched arms.

Well, we landed and I had to face the music. Then I had a brilliant idea.

I climbed out of the basket and went up to the hostess saying, "Sorry I'm late." 

All was forgiven.

29 comments:

  1. HaHa! Brilliant..Could have been a few more
    photos though..especially the ones with your
    hostess..! :).
    OR! Is it just a it of hot air..! :).
    Never been up in a hot air balloon..had a few
    chances..never took them up..! :(.

    Oh! Yes! And l have a little gong at the bottom
    of the stairs, and, yes, l do ring it, not for
    myself of course, but, when l have dinner parties,
    l strike it with a little wooden hammer..it's an old
    gong, brass..bit grubby, and stained, or it was, l
    tried everything to clean it, brighten it up, Brasso,
    Silvo, and last year l discovered 'Autosol' You can buy
    it on line..£4:75 a tube..l found some in town, it's
    amazing stuff..the gong came up great, l could see my
    face..not that l'd want to..in a reflection through
    the patterned gong..! :).
    Over the next few days, l went all round the place
    polishing anything shinning..HeHe! No! No! Not that!

    Hang on..Postman...
    Oh! Just my water account..£6:44 in credit..Great!
    I shall be able to have an extra shower next week..! :o).

    Two things l won't comment on..My Mother..Vegetarians..
    Can you imagine being raised by a staunch Roman Catholic
    Sicilian..who wants her only son and heir to be a priest..!
    Though on reflection..l could have been Pope by now! :O).
    "And the lord said unto Moses....

    Lovely post Tom..bit of a long one..As the actress said to
    the....!!! :o).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you were the Pope. The Vatican would be a lot brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great story!

    No pain in the arses allowed in my growing up years. You ate what was on the table, or a backhand would have sent you flying. I always kind of figured that there were way more important things to be backhanded for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never back-handed, even though I probably deserved to be.

      Delete
  4. Well, how enviable. I slept with a couple of friends wives but I never got wined and dined beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED school dinners ..... I used to eat anyones who didn't want theirs !!
    My dinner party cicuit was nothng like yours ..... I guess you've got to be looking for it for it to happen !
    I've been in a hot air balloon ..... it was lovely but I felt that I needed it to be a bit more exciting..... I thought it was going to be a bit more like a roller coaster !
    You were very quick to come up with the " I'm sorry I'm late ' line ! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good story! Aren't you clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That quick wit of yours probably got you out of plenty of similar scrapes! Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coo you ‘ain’t arf posh Mr T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to live out a Henry Fielding sort of existence.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. That situation was a gift which could not be thrown away.

      Delete
  10. What a rogue. Sometimes you seem to be at war with yourself over your past behaviour if you know what I mean....it makes you laugh but you have regrets....but then don't we all?
    I LOVED school dinners....especially Tuesday...lots of roasties.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Apparently dinner is the mid day meal on a farm, at least according to my brother in law. He once had a major melt down and refused to come to the supper table because one of my grandchildren called him for "dinner" and was neither reprimanded or corrected.
    Wait, I have a good story. In my neighborhood, mothers leaned over the back porch rail and called for children to come home. My sister eagerly took over that task when old enough to "call for" her brothers, Walter and Melvin. Or, as she introduced them to the neighborhood: WaterMellon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Tudor Britain dinner was midday, I think. The names keep shifting around. Watermelon...

      Delete
  12. Oh, a brilliant story! And did you ever have the cheek to pack a toothbrush when setting off to your dinner parties? ... I can't remember if vegetarians were ever catered for when I was growing up. There were poor starving Biafrans to be reminded of if anything was left on the plate, so I suspect not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, nor pyjamas. I am told that it is dangerous to be a vegetarian in Argentina.

      Delete
  13. Marvelous, Tom - you are a wonderful story-teller, meaning: everything you recount is true of course, but you serve it as an Italian dinner (see? no "lunch" either) in such a wonderful arrangement! Thank you!
    (By the way: has any of your ancestors Irish roots? You know, I never read comments before I write mine, I read them always later - so maybe many have put the same question?)

    As to "Dinner Ladies" - I have a DVD-collection which is exactly called so, funny and vintage.

    About vegetarians I will write soon too - thus no words here.

    When I tried to find the exact (!) meaning of Dinner party circuit (I think that I know the meaning, but want to be sure) I did not find it, BUT was richly rewarded be finding another marvel: the"tailgate party". Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I have no Irish ancestry, otherwise I would have an E.U. passport by now. Italian lunches seem to go on until dinner time anyway. I'll look up tailgate parties. As far as I know I have never been to one.

      Delete
    2. Back home in Sicily, we eat twice a day, sit down
      at about twelve, for lunch, 4~6 of us, by the time
      we finish up at about four, there's maybe twenty
      of us..same at six, though evening eating/meal, goes
      on till..God knows, loads of courses, loads of wine,
      loads of family...! :).

      Tailgate parties are great fun..though more of an
      American thing..! :).

      Delete