Thursday 29 October 2020

Rules are NOT made to be broken, but there are exceptions


Re John's last post about the anon that thinks he should be prosecuted for walking his dogs:

I was shouted at for sitting on a park bench at the very beginning by a woman who was obviously worried to distraction with what was happening in her life. She took her mask off to bellow some statistics about the latest fatality figures.

I think it is important to be seen to be following the rules, but some rules are so bloody stupid that I do not blame others for ignoring them. The trouble is that making a point of trying not to look like an idiot in public means that some younger people will use it as an excuse to break the ones which are worth following.

There is a shopping area here called Milsom Place. Long before the virus turned up it was already half empty because of the 10 years of austerity grinding everyone into the ground. It used to have a Jamie Oliver restaurant, but that went some time ago. A few hedge-fund chain restaurants still exist there, but they are dealing with other people's money so can survive most things.

Wanting to be seen to be doing something, Milsom Place instigated a one-way system as a Covid-safe precaution. The precinct was confusing enough before this rule was introduced, because there are a variety of entrances and exits on three different levels, so even I would find myself 20 feet above where I wanted to be and have to retrace my steps to get there.

Now, those steps are for going down only, and have large arrows taped to the treads to remind you. We sit in one of the chain cafes and amuse ourselves by watching tourists approach the steps, read the signs and turn round, only to reappear a few minutes later with an even more confused look on their faces. Milsom Place can be like a Mauritz Escher drawing.

The really infuriating thing is that the one-way system actually does more harm than good. Given the choice, would you rather walk six feet behind someone who is infected with the virus for three minutes, or would you rather keep the encounter down to two seconds by passing them five feet apart on some steps?

Well, I don't think you will be faced with that choice for much longer. Boris will follow everyone else's lead soon and re-impose a proper lock-down. When that happens, I will turn into another  statistic.

19 comments:

  1. Once again l had to Google summat...
    Maurits Cornelis Escher...Dutch graphic artist..
    Oh! Yeah! Cool! He has his stuff on T~shirts to..
    Died back in 1972..!

    I don't break rules..l work my way around them...!
    HeHe! The virus arrows/directions placed on the
    floors of cafes/supermarkets etc..are a laugh,
    "Willie..your going the wrong way, this way round".
    So l just turn around and 'moonwalk' YES! l can still
    moonwalk..at my age..up the same aisle..!
    I'm still amazed they recognise me, l wear a mask, AND
    still they know it's me...How! How! :).

    I seem to remember some rule quotes..
    “Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like
    an artist.”
    “Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively.”
    “I am free, no matter what rules surround me".

    Well Tom..That song by the Ivy League comes to mind...
    (I'm Running Around In) Circles...
    I'm moving out today, got to get away
    I've got to find a place to settle down
    I've had enough of this. I've got to find a place
    Where people care for me and don't put me down
    It might sound silly, but you're the cause of this
    'Cause I can't take the way you run around
    I must admit I've had my share of fun
    But that's all over now it's time to run...

    Best go..Tummies rumbling...! :o).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for correcting my spelling of Maurits.

      Delete
  2. Covid seems to be another nail in the coffin of common sense which was already well on the way out before Covid came along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think age may be talking here. Citing common sense is the last refuge of the right winger who has run out of alternative options.

      Delete
    2. Oh for God's sake. Just being nice to each other might help.

      Delete
    3. If I had known you were going to come out with such drivel I would never have left a comment.

      Delete
    4. The other day I was in the library and there were arrows on the floor. I was at the wrong end of the arrows for the book I wanted and a young assistant was helping me locate it. She found it and it was two feet away from me but on the wrong side of the arrows. She said I had to walk the whole way round the library to approach it from the right direction. I said no I don't and stepped across the arrows and reached for my book. If that isn't common sense I don't know what is. She was young and looked frightened. I said it wasn't so bad was it and she broke into a smile.

      Delete
    5. Tomorrow I am going to talk about Corbyn's suspension from the Labour Party. Save your outrage for that. I have views about it, as you may imagine. I miss our sparring. We are not dogs who need to lick arse for social order.

      Delete
  3. Yup, Milsom Place always used to confuse me. But then I am easily confused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently I’m adhering to the guidelines
    “ Nobody should go out even to buy food or other essentials and any exercise must be taken within your home or private outdoor area such as a garden. If you have no access to private outdoor space, you may take exercise outside for up to 1 hour, including dog walking, providing you choose quiet areas, do not touch external surfaces or items (eg gates, doors, hire bikes) and do not come within 2m of any other person. People with certain health conditions or disabilities may need to go out more than once a day, accompanied by their carers if appropriate”

    Even now I can’t be subversive or anarchic

    ReplyDelete
  5. Milsom Place always seemed empty and rather spooky with its levels but the little square behind always seemed welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even spookier to me. There is no little square behind.

      Delete
  6. I have not returned to my favorite nursery since last May, due to their stupid, Milsomesque regulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people go there for exercise.

      Delete
    2. The shops around us have done a great job of keeping people apart. Which is a good job as common sense sometimes seems to be in short supply and there are plenty of covid deniers, totally clueless and I'm alright Jackers making the rest of us very nervous.

      Delete
  7. My friend Anne, living in Darmstadt, wrote to me yesterday how a man shouted at her full of anger as she stood on the threshold to leave a store.
    I see lots of people going balmy, crazy, aggressive - maybe they were balmy before, but now they are over the top.

    ReplyDelete