Saturday 24 October 2020

More dire warnings to take your mind off things


Michael Gove has recently said that he is fed up with so-called 'experts' who he would have us believe are to blame for all the cock-ups that he has not made when dealing with the pandemic. I know what he means. (I have messed up the alignment  somehow.)

The day before yesterday, a government expert was warning everyone about the sharp increase in deaths amongst women caused by cocaine overdose.

The reason for the increase, he said, was that the cost of the drug has stabilised over the last couple of years, and as a result had never been cheaper in real terms. Also, he added, the cocaine on the streets now is the purest it has ever been, resulting in many more accidental overdoses. I told this to some of my cocaine addict friends, and they laughed out loud.

I cannot remember the name of this politician, but everything he said about cocaine is the exact opposite of the truth. 

Between the 1970s and up until a few years ago, cocaine held a stable price of £50 per gram, which is why it was always know as 'the rich man's drug'. £50 could buy you a car in 1970. Right now, a gram would cost you between £100 and £180.

Then there is the business of purity. After the government (quite rightly) made cheap Chinese imported amphetamines illegal a few years ago, all the dealers were left with kilos of the stuff that they could not legally sell. It cost £2000 per kilo, so they were not going to throw it away, were they? No. they cut it with cocaine and sold it hidden.

The more reputable of the dealers used to buy an inert and harmless powder from Holland to cut cocaine with, and bumped the volume up that way. These days, the coke on the street has never been more adulterated.

I have never heard of anyone with a sound heart dying of a cocaine overdose. I am not proud of it, but I once snorted two grams in 6 hours and all I had to show for it was a sleepless night spent grinding my teeth. If women are actually dying of something, it is more likely to be the nasty amphetamines which make up about 80% of today's so-called coke, but I doubt even that.

I for one do not trust anything put out by any unqualified government minister who wants to get his name in the papers with such sensational trash. People like them give real experts - and real politicians - a very bad name. 

Get well soon, Weave.

19 comments:

  1. Oh! Look..Al Pacino in Scarface...!
    "In this country, you gotta make the money first.
    Then when you get the money, you get the power.
    Then when you get the power, then you get the women."
    Do you know Al Pacino says the 'F' word 226 times
    in the film that runs for..170 minutes!

    I digress..Drugs! Oh! My goodness! Yes!
    Spending 12yrs as a professional entertainer,
    or course they were always there, l smoked a
    little in the beginning, and that's it, my
    first three months working in Germany, l
    worked the EM clubs, equivalent to our Corporal
    Messes! Doing one night stands, and travelling
    a great deal, so, in some clubs all sorts of 'stuff'
    was placed in my hand..followed buy.."Why don't you
    get on down brother"..!
    HaHa! So l put this 'stuff' into my bag..working a
    different club every night, enabled me to sell the
    'stuff' on..thus making a few extra bucks..naughty
    eh!
    After three months l moved on to NCO and Officers
    clubs, and things looked up, never saw an Aspirin
    or a Paracetamol again..! HeHe! :o).

    Spot on with the info Tom..Spot on..! Twelve
    outta ten...!
    By the way..Who's Michael Gove...??? :o).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just entered my comment..when it came back
      Nigela BIG tits is at the top..HaHa! :).
      I can't stand the stupid 'meadow lady'..
      "Nuff Said"..

      Delete
    2. I thought it a more appropriate picture for the header. I am very pleased you have sorted your paragraphs out Willie. It makes reading that much easier. You selling the stuff on could have got you a prison sentence, so good job it all finished.

      Delete
    3. It's funny that you sort out your paragraphs just as I cock-up mine.

      Delete
    4. I think l've mentioned before..I passed
      3 'O' Levels and 3 'A' Levels first time..
      But! It took me 4 attempts to pass English..
      I took a mock exam before hand..and got 93%
      on paper one, essay and precis, and 3% on
      paper two, grammer..of course by adding the
      two together and dividing by two..gave me a
      pass...! :)

      Problem is..l write as l speak, that's why l use
      a lot of .. !!! :). ...! " " ??? and so on...!
      to express myself more..God! I hope we never meet
      up for a conversation Tom..You'll be ducking and
      diving every few minutes..! HeHe! :o)
      Teachers used to make me sit on my hands at school!
      I only felt safe in church..And..the lord said unto....

      Delete
  2. It always seems to be adulterated drugs that are the killers like adulterated ecstasy tablets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not with heroin. Pure heroin kills a lot of junkies who are not used to the strength. That is where the confusion set in with the aforementioned politician.

      Delete
  3. Amazing the stuff that gets pitched today. Remember what they say, "Garbage in, garbage out."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same all over. There were no 'good old days', but it is hard to imagine worse ones.

      Delete
  4. All I know about most drugs is what I read, so I essentially know little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I am so pissed off with our politician for spreading fake news.

      Delete
  5. Over here it seems to be meth. I know nothing about it. I don't want to know anything about it. I used to smoke a little pot when I was young, but this is dangerous stuff, and it leads to a lot of crime as people try to get money to support their habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meth is huge in Australia I am told. People walking about like crazed zombies. The pot the kids smoke these days is really nasty, psychosis-inducing skunk.

      Delete
  6. I still have - despite Corona-warnings not to meet anybody - a few student friends (as the university has gone online, I do a sabbatical) whom I see, and one lovely girl tells me about taking cocaine, smoking pot and so on. She is alright and I adore her.
    For myself I never tried anything stronger than hash (which I didn't like) and weed (which doesn't do much for me - I wonder, because I can buy very fine straight quality in the Netherlands and am using it the right way - nice feeling, but nothing more - so why? For me it doesn't do more than a few nice drinks.)
    As to "real" drugs: I honour my body and mind and health too much to try it (and in case of ecstasy my complexion). My imagination is vivid - so I do not miss anything. I do use all my senses in every way - so for me: why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, why? A lot of drug taking is done through boredom. Nothing is free of problems, especially drink.

      Delete
    2. Well - 0,1l wine per evening and many days without - I do not fear much from that! :-)

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think 'exemplary' is quite the right word. Yes, women buy their own coke and - this may come as a shock to you so brace yourself - they drink beer by the pint too.

      Delete