Monday 28 September 2020

Successful being one


 The sun is shining through Eastgate, so it must be late afternoon. Close to here is Northgate, now called Busgate. I live on the wall, half way between the two - about 4.30 on the clock because the early map makers placed Northgate due East. 

My computer doesn't like it when you make up words it doesn't recognise and angrily (one L) underlines them in red. It has a limited vocabulary and often underlines perfectly legitimate words that can be found in any dictionary. I want to disable the spell check when this happens, but then I remember that I have problems spelling some words, successful being one (right first time in this instance).

I am waiting to begin a new job, but I need to get out of town so I will go to the workshop anyway. Then again, I might just go on a solitary mushroom hunt - this time with a packed lunch and flask of green tea. It may literally be a solitary mushroom hunt - the hunt for a solitary mushroom. 

21 comments:

  1. So as a 14 year old cheerleader at my grammar school, we had a cheer: "S-U-C-C-E-S-S, that's the way you spell success!" Your post brought that memory back to me and made me wonder, how the heck was that cheer helpful to the basketball team? So you gave me a Monday morning laugh! Good luck with your mushroom hunt (solitary or multiple)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of Mickey Mouse when I think of cheerleaders. What use was that other than to Disney?

      Delete
  2. You write so beautifully. Good luck with the mushroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a nice thing to say, Yael. Your name is another word which gets a red underline from my computer. They are so ignorant.

      Delete
    2. My computer behaves this way too. I ignore.

      Delete
  3. You have got a lovely day for doing it mushroom or no mushroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you had a better day Weave, but I am not complaining.

      Delete
  4. Hope you had a good day in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No mushrooms, but something else you already know about. More on that story later, as they say.

      Delete
  5. Living in beautiful Bath, mushroom picking and work to do .... all’s well with the world ( apart from a pandemic ! )
    Re green tea ...... I’ve never got on with it .... it turns the inside of my mouth so dry ..... it there a green tea you could recommend and I’ll have another go ? XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I won't bore you, but I am losing jobs one after the other at the moment. I do appreciate being here, but the people who appreciate me being here are beginning to die off.

      Delete
    2. And by the way, I just see a label which tells me the tea is green and I buy it. I am no connoisseur. My green tea turns red in a flask I have noticed. It irritates the shit out of me.

      Delete
  6. Spell check doesn't bother me too much. I only see the underlines when I specifically look. Red is not very bright to my variant of colour vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I hope your confidence in your ability to spell is greater than your ability to see.

      Delete
    2. It is. Aboslutley. Yuo can be shure of thatt.

      Delete
  7. Being full of success should translate to 'successfull', but what do I know; I rely on spell-check, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is probably set to American English...which used to be English English when you think about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, but they only speak English English up on the Appellation Ridge.

      Delete
  9. I’m glad work is still coming in xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but - as I said - it is going out a little faster than it is coming in at the moment. Fuck Covid, and fuck getting older and broker.

      Delete