Monday 3 August 2020

Building bridges

I had a series of stress/angst dreams last night, triggered by being forced to do stuff for a dealer who I had vowed never to work for again, about 30 years ago. He finds it very difficult to tell the straight truth and even more difficult to part with money. He reminds me of my late brother in more ways than one.

In the first dream, I found myself back at my childhood home, peering through the kitchen window at my parents, who were seated at the table doing their accounts. This is something they did do on a weekly basis when they were alive and still struggling to keep up the huge house on a small income. In the dream, I gave up the idea of asking for a loan and just paid them a visit for its own sake. In reality, my brother had cleaned them out years ago.

My mother was very pleased to see me and did not seem to understand that the reason I had not visited sooner was because she has been dead for many years. I did not have the heart to use this as an excuse.

In the next dream I was seated with many friends in an outside restaurant such as those found in Rome, and the courtyard of the place was hard up against one side of a very ornately carved stone bridge which towered over us by about 50 feet.

I noticed the very open and loose joints in the stonework and gently pushed at the nearest large block, which moved a shifted very easily, rocking on its own bed. I told my friends that we should not be sitting under this bridge because it was dangerously unstable. They took no notice of me.

I left the table and went out into the street to safety. Just as I did, the whole bridge came down on my friends with a huge crash and clouds of dust.

Looking back at the courtyard I saw that all of them had been buried under tons of fallen masonry. I took my phone out and tried to call the emergency services but - as always in these dreams - my phone didn't work. I went from place to place trying to borrow phones, but none of them worked either.

This morning I hear that the collapsed bridge in Genoa which killed 42 people a couple of years ago has been replaced with a modern structure designed by the same man who created The Shard in London. Funny things, dreams.

22 comments:

  1. They are funny things..your brain putting odd things together, trying to make sense of unreal situations. And sometimes prescient and unexplainable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my dream was quite simple really, and a combination of everything you mention.

      Delete
  2. I agree with what gz says, occasionally dreams seem to foretell the future, they get jumbled up because of the brain. Though hopefully you had not got the radio on through the night, which can instigate dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, there was no radio that night, but I have heard of people picking up radio signals from tooth fillings...

      Delete
  3. Dreams can be quie scary if something happens on the next day which brings part of your dream to life. It has happened to me on several occasions and I don't really care for the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also learnt that the bridge in Genoa was known by the authorities to be very unsafe and in urgent need of attention. All of the relatives of those who died are calling for an immediate enquiry.
    I was interested to know that The Shard was designed by an Italian architect, I had previous thought it was by Richard Rogers or Norman Foster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Architects seem to be chosen for reasons of prestige rather than their designs, it seems.

      Delete
  5. Dreams should definitely have an off switch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that turning them off would play havoc with your waking life.

      Delete
  6. I feel as if I've had more angst-laden dreams since quarantine began. Mine usually involve international travel and missed connections. I never enjoy a night of sleep that leaves me feeling more fatigued than when I went to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quarantine has produced a lot of mental angst, which explains most of the conspiracy theorists.

      Delete
  7. I was thinking it's like you dream in full technicolor, and it seems you do. I am so sorry; buena fortuna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my dreams are technicolour, but usually they are just like ordinary daylight. I think that I panicked about payment, but it was for good reason.

      Delete
  8. In both dreams you are basically relying only on yourself. Or realize you have the ability to save yourself on your own. That's how I understand it. And maybe I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always relying on myself to operate a mobile phone, but it is the phone which lets me down in dreams. That is just blaming something else I suppose!

      Delete
  9. I often have dreams where I desperately need to use my phone but for various reasons it wont do what it should.Very distressing in the dream and glad to wake up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dream that H.I. and I have been split up in a foreign city and my phone doesn't work. In reality she never carries a phone abroad, so it would make no difference.

      Delete
  10. Both very vivid dreams, Tom - did you write them up the moment you woke up? (I did it for a long time, otherwise I had forgotten most). I had a bad dream last night too - always (almost) the same. Not reaching a goal, going through an area I know but cannot recognise.
    Your second dream is very scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't write them down. The good ones stay in my memory. Most dreams are very simple really.

      Delete