Wednesday 15 July 2020

what larks



I haven't had a moan for a while, have I?  I'll keep it brief.

This photo is mainly to give John the opportunity of commenting on our lack of taste by still having a paper Chinese lantern in the living room. I should point out that the tasteful face-covering which arrived today is also Chinese, which is ironic since the reason we will/will not have/have not to wear them in public is because of a virus which - beyond all reasonable doubt - emanated from China. They are still cleaning-up whilst we are still committed to Hua Wei for the 10 years in the run-up to total economic and social collapse due to the most perfect storm in world history.

The main problem is that Boris and Gove still hate each other for historical reasons. Very recent history at that. A week is a long time in politics, but 4 months is an even longer time to be locked in a cupboard with your family, no matter how much you love them.

Rishi Sunak ( the only sane person in government at this point) wants to kick-start the High Street by making elderly cunts like me feel better about entering shops, so in certain shops it will be mandatory to wear a face-covering like this one, and it will also be compulsory. What is the difference between mandatory and compulsory?

The police are tearing their hair out. They cannot keep up with the scientifically/politically/economically-led legislation which they are supposed to enforce now. 

My friend Jenn has been sculpted in plastic by a famous man and placed on top of the plinth which used to support Colston in Bristol. The Mayor of Bristol says that all unauthorised sculpture will be removed, and  - as much as I like Jenn - I agree with him. You cannot tear down one sculpture of a human and replace it with another without public consultation and debate. 

What larks, eh Pip?

31 comments:

  1. It looks like I have a strange growth on my neck in this photo, but I assure you that my neck is as normal as it could be for a man of my age. I won't be using this one for Tinder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deep down you are a 1978 student
    Therefore I will forgive the lantern
    I had several ....

    I love the photo of you
    It makes you real
    You are a real friend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw. Just to let you know, we have several brand new replacement paper lanterns in the cupboard just in case China goes into administration.

      Delete
    2. BTW, you are 10 years out - I am a 1968 student, and I have the pictorial evidence to support it.

      Delete
  3. I like it that you have everything speckled psychedelic pink and green, even your hair, which incidentally you have made a good job of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't credit me, thank Apple for the crap pixilation of their old lens on my old machine. Or it could be that your camera is even worse than mine.

      Delete
    2. I looked closely because I thought the paper lantern had changed colour, then I saw it on everything.

      Delete
  4. Is that you with that georgeous head of hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like the pelt of a polar bear pat x

      Delete
    2. When your pubes are longer than your knob, that is the time to either worry or give up.

      Delete
  5. What larks!

    First of all, I like your Chinese paper lantern. Fuck the haters! They give a warm glow which I enjoy, especially after a glass or two of good wine. Ha.

    Second, I love your hair. Seriously. Just like Weaver, I think it's gorgeous. Was it very dark when you were younger? Most people I know with such such thick silvery hair had almost black hair when young (and turned grey/silver before middle age had even properly set in). Thank you for sharing a photo. I think you shared one years ago, where you were looking down and smiling, and with that striking silver hair you were so handsome!

    Anyway, cheers to you, Tom. I imagine it's nearing midnight for you right now. It's 6:30pm in South Carolina, still sunny and hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lantern-haters are low-level snobs. Yes, my hair was very dark and went white early. I still have remnants of dark on the back of my head, where nobody looks.

      Delete
  6. OK, I was by. See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that’s the best your hair has looked ..... it’s shorter and is very youthful. I like your mask .... I have black ones but I rather like the grey .... Amazon ? XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eBay. They must make so much money from them. a piece of elasticated material stamped out and welded simultaneously.

      Delete
  8. Well it took a couple of weeks for my memory card to come from Taiwan, so will those who buy from the wicked Asian continent be slapped into prison as traitors? Great larks ahead, all the mumbling and stumbling over Grayling, who thought of him in the first place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This self-interested and incompetent government has directly caused the deaths of at least 30,000 people.

      Delete
  9. Good to see you, if masked..are they not difficult to manage with specs?!
    We have been using our masks since the beginning of March, and friends in Turkey HAVE to wear theirs whenever they are out of their house, no exceptions apart from when eating and drinking.
    Interestingly a professional cyclist in California did some testing, while wearing a top grade mask, to see if it affected his oxygen uptake and power output atall...not one little bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we lack leadership. There has been no shortage of mixed messages, just clear guidance. The useless sods. I do what I am told, and no more - aside from exercising my version of common sense.

      Delete
  10. I have found that tucking the mask underneath the specs makes the steaming up problem much less troublesome.
    I have never felt awkward wearing one. There are plenty available round here for not much cost so I can't understand the problem with them. Once you get over the fact that you look ridiculous - but then so does everyone else. I'd rather look stupid than pass on the disease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been wearing dust masks and eye-protecting glasses for about 50 years, and - believe me - there is no way of stopping the fogging problem without ideal weather conditions, full-face visors with their own air supply or heated specs. I am a professional.

      Delete
  11. If you wash your glasses with soapy water, it leaves a thin, anti mist layer ! Jackie, News at 10 .... know it all !!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not in the winter it doesn't. I have been dealing with this problem for 50 years. You weigh up the situation thus: See what I am doing or lose my eyesight by not. You end up with a compromise by guessing what you are doing with 1200 RPM machinery.

      Delete
    2. It's a case of lungs versus eyes.

      Delete
  12. I'm loving your blog. A sane, amusing voice in this mad world. Don't stop. Jan Bx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your first paragraph is pretty much perfect.

    ReplyDelete