Sunday 19 July 2020

Revert to legacy


Hundreds of thousands of mink are to be (or have been) culled across Europe because a large percentage of them had the coronavirus and were passing it on to the farmers. I wonder what they are going to do with all that fur? Shame to waste it.

 I have just looked to the right on this new blogger composing page and noticed that they now offer suggested labels to attach to your post. The top three on mine are 'ART', 'BBC JIMMY SAVILE' and 'BRILLIANT AND TALENTED TOM STEPHENSON'. If it were not for the third suggestion I would suspect that they are using a logarithm, but I am now thinking that there is a real person reading everyone's blogs and they have become so bored that they are now taking the piss.

 Other suggestions include 'CITY OF BATH SHOPPING OUTLETS', 'DEATH', 'ENGLAND', and 'VIEW FROM YOUR WINDOW'. There are no politically motivated suggestions for labels, so maybe the logarithm has been programmed to avoid controversy. If not, it surely would have composed a label along the lines of 'DONALD TRUMP IS A C***' by taking samples of many of the posts from the 3,700+ already published.

 I am almost embarrassed by the fact that I have put up 3,700+ posts over the last few years. What a shocking waste of words. Some impoverished people in the world would have been really grateful for some of those words to use in any way they wanted. Donald Trump, for instance. I have squandered more words on this shallow and fatuous blog than he has in his entire vocabulary. We tend to take the lexicon for granted until we are confronted with a pitifully inadequate world leader who uses words like 'bigly' on an almost daily basis.

 Now I am going to try to remember how to put up a photo on the new blogger. If there is no picture at the top of this post, then I have failed.

25 comments:

  1. Now I have lost the ability to create new paragraphs. I'm having a rest now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh damn - how you you get paragraph breaks on this bloody thing? The first time I used it it was easy. now I am tearing my hair out and it only uses HTML. I'm giving up for today.

      Delete
    2. Immediately under the word Title on the title line there is a slanted pen looking thing. If you click on that you can change from HTML to Compose. Or if it is not there, mine is there at the moment, then there is a symbol sometimes at the end of the Title line thus <> . That does the same thing.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Rachel. I'll try that.

      Delete
    4. I didn't do that but I tried something else and it seemed to work.

      Delete
  2. Are they what we used to look up in logarithm tables at school? Do they have anti-logarithms as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never did logarithms at school so I don't know.

      Delete
  3. There is a picture Tom, so you haven't failed.
    I'm a bit bewildered (love that word, break it down) about your references to the new blog format. I haven't encountered it yet here. Is it just a hemisphere thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That picture was a second attempt. Now I am having problems with the text. It's forcing me to write like Rachel used to.

      Delete
    2. I don't know what Google is forcing other people to do, so I can't help. It sounds like we are being used as guinea pigs to me.

      Delete
    3. I was going through my Samuel Beckett phase.

      Delete
  4. Calm yourself and enjoy your beautiful surroundings! I had to google "coronavirus in minks" because I thought you were jesting! What next for goodness sake! Must I wear a mask to protect my cat and dog??? I need to calm down, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't touched a live animal for four months, so I should be alright on that score. No, wait - a squirrel climbed all over me about 6 weeks ago. No symptoms yet, but that doesn't mean anything...

      Delete
  5. I gave up with the new Blogger. Far too unpredictable.
    I've gone back to the heritage Blogger and whenever they finally drop it I'll probably give up.
    Trump is the epitomy of the Emporer's new clothes. Millions of people are calling out "he's naked" or rather "he's an idiot" but still he trumps along, like the villain in a Batman movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone I know is calling out, "He's a cunt!"

      Delete
  6. Well I thought I was using new blogger but so far I haven't had problems (touch wood)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe if you don't think about it, it becomes easier.

      Delete
  7. An interesting photo at the top..I sort of hop between new and old blogger. No problems so far

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A week after I took that photo on the beach at Charmouth, a woman was killed by falling rock within shot of it.

      Delete
  8. I gave up last Autumn because the New and Improved Blogger defeated me. The constant battle to put all the text and at least a couple of photos up meant it wasn't fun anymore.
    I'm intrigued by the reminder that there are still mink farms. Why? They can't be eaten and who on earth wears a mink coat these days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people quietly wear mink. Not least all the models who protested 20 years ago.

      Delete
    2. I bet the Russians keep the market going.

      Delete