Saturday 25 July 2020

The Names of the Hare



The man the hare has met
will never be the better of it
except he lay down on the land
what he carries in his hand—
be it staff or be it bow—
and bless him with his elbow
and come out with this litany
with devotion and sincerity
to speak the praises of the hare.
Then the man will better fare.

‘The hare, call him scotart,
big-fellow, bouchart,
the O’Hare, the jumper,
the rascal, the racer.

Beat-the-pad, white-face,
funk-the-ditch, shit-ass.

The wimount, the messer,
the skidaddler, the nibbler,
the ill-met, the slabber.

The quick-scut, the dew-flirt,
the grass-biter, the goibert,
the home-late, the do-the-dirt.

The starer, the wood-cat,
the purblind, the furze cat,
the skulker, the bleary-eyed,
the wall-eyed, the glance-aside
and also the hedge-springer.

The stubble-stag, the long lugs,
the stook-deer, the frisky legs,
the wild one, the skipper,
the hug-the-ground, the lurker,
the race-the-wind, the skiver,
the shag-the-hare, the hedge-squatter,
the dew-hammer, the dew-hoppper,
the sit-tight, the grass-bounder,
the jig-foot, the earth-sitter,
the light-foot, the fern-sitter,
the kail-stag, the herb-cropper.

The creep-along, the sitter-still,
the pintail, the ring-the-hill,
the sudden start,
the shake-the-heart,
the belly-white,
the lambs-in-flight.

The gobshite, the gum-sucker,
the scare-the-man, the faith-breaker,
the snuff-the-ground, the baldy skull,
(his chief name is scoundrel.)

The stag sprouting a suede horn,
the creature living in the corn,
the creature bearing all men’s scorn,
the creature no one dares to name.’

When you have got all this said
then the hare’s strength has been laid.
Then you might go faring forth—
east and west and south and north,
wherever you incline to go—
but only if you’re skilful too.
And now, Sir Hare, good-day to you.
God guide you to a how-d’ye-do
with me: come to me dead
in either onion broth or bread.

21 comments:

  1. Hare by Pisanello, about 1440. Hare's names by Middle English poet, about 1390. Translated by Seamus Heaney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It builds up to be read fast like the running hare and then slows again. I like it and I like hares, it does it well. Thanks. I've never seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a ritualistic hunting poem apparently. All the magic has gone out of hunting these days.

      Delete
  3. Wow. I've never read anything quite like this. I reread it three times to savor every line. Where did you find this, Tom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father used to recite it to me (in the original Middle English) as a child, as his father did him... actually I googled 'hare poems'...

      Delete
  4. Beautiful.
    A day when we see a hare is a good day.
    The sight lifts the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is beautiful, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An easy post for me (copied and pasted) and I get as much out of it as everyone else. I love it too.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful stuff Tom. The hare is my favourite animal and I collect hares - I have a bronze life size hare,a smaller bronze and also countless pictures. I absolutely love this poem - thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember seeing it before either Weave. Isn't it great?

      Delete
  7. This is wonderful! How amazing to listen to it in Middle English. I'm glad Rachel pointed out the rhythms. That is exactly what happened to me, reading the lines. And a great guffaw at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lying about listening to it in Middle English, but I think that you probably could if you looked for it. Nobody knows what those languages really sounded like, so I don't trust readings.

      Delete
    2. No, I suffered through once semester of Olde English, which we had to pronounce in reading it.I even googled Middle English, to see how much resemblance it bore , and I can tell you, I'd more likely understand original Shakespeare than Canterbury Tales.

      Delete
    3. Years ago I started to teach myself to read Middle English - Beowolf, Sir Gawain, etc. - but then I decided to leave it up to someone else (in Oxford or Cambridge) and read their translations instead.

      Delete
  8. Lovely poem, it reminds you that language spoken was the way Medieval people heard words not through the written word as they were illiterate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The upper classes knew latin, then the rest relied on songs and poems.

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness! What a treat!! Totally new to me, thanks Tom. (I did google the difference between a hare and a rabbit, as rabbits have been eating my petunias when there's so much else for them to fill up on. I caught one in the act this morning, and it wasn't even frightened of me clapping my hands and shouting like the crazy old woman I am.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot muster as much respect for rabbits as I can for hares, I am afraid. I don't know, it seems almost unfair, but that's the way I feel. I don't eat hares, but i do eat rabbits.

      Delete